Apr 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Marquette has hired Duke assistant Steve Wojciechowski to replace the departed Buzz Williams as head coach, according to a report from ESPN.com.
Wojo played for Duke in the late-90s, joining Coach K’s staff in 1999 and getting promoted to associate head coach in 2008. A formal announcement is expected soon.
Buzz Williams left Marquette in March, taking over the head coaching position at Virginia Tech. The Golden Eagles reportedly went after both Shaka Smart and Cuonzo Martin before finally settling on Wojo, who is now the 12th former Coach K assistant or player to land a head coaching gig. He joins Tommy Amaker (Harvard), Mike Brey (Notre Dame), Chris Collins (Northwestern), Johnny Dawkins (Stanford) and Bobby Hurley (Buffalo) as current head coaches.
Marquette was 17-15 last season and did not play in a postseason tournament, but the pieces are there. The key is going to be keeping those pieces aboard. He’s got a talented freshman class returning — Duane Wilson, JaJuan Johnson, Deonte Burton and Indiana transfer Luke Fischer — and may end up with an incoming recruiting class that features five kids, three of whom are top 100 recruits.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)