Apr 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Marquette has hired Duke assistant Steve Wojciechowski to replace the departed Buzz Williams as head coach, according to a report from ESPN.com.
Wojo played for Duke in the late-90s, joining Coach K’s staff in 1999 and getting promoted to associate head coach in 2008. A formal announcement is expected soon.
Buzz Williams left Marquette in March, taking over the head coaching position at Virginia Tech. The Golden Eagles reportedly went after both Shaka Smart and Cuonzo Martin before finally settling on Wojo, who is now the 12th former Coach K assistant or player to land a head coaching gig. He joins Tommy Amaker (Harvard), Mike Brey (Notre Dame), Chris Collins (Northwestern), Johnny Dawkins (Stanford) and Bobby Hurley (Buffalo) as current head coaches.
Marquette was 17-15 last season and did not play in a postseason tournament, but the pieces are there. The key is going to be keeping those pieces aboard. He’s got a talented freshman class returning — Duane Wilson, JaJuan Johnson, Deonte Burton and Indiana transfer Luke Fischer — and may end up with an incoming recruiting class that features five kids, three of whom are top 100 recruits.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)