Apr 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Marquette has hired Duke assistant Steve Wojciechowski to replace the departed Buzz Williams as head coach, according to a report from ESPN.com.
Wojo played for Duke in the late-90s, joining Coach K’s staff in 1999 and getting promoted to associate head coach in 2008. A formal announcement is expected soon.
Buzz Williams left Marquette in March, taking over the head coaching position at Virginia Tech. The Golden Eagles reportedly went after both Shaka Smart and Cuonzo Martin before finally settling on Wojo, who is now the 12th former Coach K assistant or player to land a head coaching gig. He joins Tommy Amaker (Harvard), Mike Brey (Notre Dame), Chris Collins (Northwestern), Johnny Dawkins (Stanford) and Bobby Hurley (Buffalo) as current head coaches.
Marquette was 17-15 last season and did not play in a postseason tournament, but the pieces are there. The key is going to be keeping those pieces aboard. He’s got a talented freshman class returning — Duane Wilson, JaJuan Johnson, Deonte Burton and Indiana transfer Luke Fischer — and may end up with an incoming recruiting class that features five kids, three of whom are top 100 recruits.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)