Apr 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Marquette has hired Duke assistant Steve Wojciechowski to replace the departed Buzz Williams as head coach, according to a report from ESPN.com.
Wojo played for Duke in the late-90s, joining Coach K’s staff in 1999 and getting promoted to associate head coach in 2008. A formal announcement is expected soon.
Buzz Williams left Marquette in March, taking over the head coaching position at Virginia Tech. The Golden Eagles reportedly went after both Shaka Smart and Cuonzo Martin before finally settling on Wojo, who is now the 12th former Coach K assistant or player to land a head coaching gig. He joins Tommy Amaker (Harvard), Mike Brey (Notre Dame), Chris Collins (Northwestern), Johnny Dawkins (Stanford) and Bobby Hurley (Buffalo) as current head coaches.
Marquette was 17-15 last season and did not play in a postseason tournament, but the pieces are there. The key is going to be keeping those pieces aboard. He’s got a talented freshman class returning — Duane Wilson, JaJuan Johnson, Deonte Burton and Indiana transfer Luke Fischer — and may end up with an incoming recruiting class that features five kids, three of whom are top 100 recruits.
- Bubble Banter: Whose tournament hopes are on the line on Tuesday night? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)