Apr 1, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
Maryland 76, Louisville 73: The Terrapin head to Nashville as the lowest seed remaining — the No. 4 seed coming out of the Louisville Region. Maryland had to knock off top-seeded Tennessee to reach the Elite 8, where it faced the No. 3 seed Louisville, playing inside its home arena.
With two minutes Maryland appeared to have the game locked up, leading the Cardinals by a dozen. But Louisville would use a late-game comeback which was nearly completed before Shoni Schimmel missed her potential game-tying 3-pointer. With 31 seconds remaining Schimmel connected on three 3-pointers. She finished with 31 points, five rebounds, four assists and five steals. Alyssa Thomas scored a team-high 22 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for Maryland. Lexie Brown added 20.
Maryland faces undefeated Notre Dame, though, the Fighting Irish will be without senior forward Natalie Achonwa, who tore her ACL in the Elite 8 win over Baylor.
Maryland-Norte Dame is scheduled for 6:30 on April 6.
Stanford 74, North Carolina 65: Chiney Ogwumike played her Maples Pavilion on Tuesday night, but her college career with continue as the No. 2 seed Stanford will head to Nashville for the Final Four following its Elite 8 win over No. 4 seed North Carolina.
Ogwumike went for a double-double of 20 points and 10 rebounds. She was one of five Stanford players in double figures as Mikaela Ruef (17 points), Amber Orrange (14 points), Bonnie Samuelson (13 points), Lili Thompson (10 points) followed.
The Cardinal will play unbeaten UConn, which enters the Final Four with a 37-0 record. In 2010, Stanford ended the Huskies’ 90-game winning streak.
Stanford-UConn is scheduled to tip at 8:30 p.m. on April 6.
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 2
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)