Apr 2, 2014, 6:47 PM EDT
Point guard Pookie Powell was originally expected to be a member of Memphis’ highly regarded freshman class this season, however those plans were scuttled when the NCAA did not clear Powell academically. That didn’t turn out to be a huge issue for the Tigers, with their four senior guards in line to receive the majority of the minutes anyway.
But with that came the expectation that after sitting out the 2013-14 season, Powell (who wasn’t allowed to practice with the team) would be the most likely option to take over the point guard duties in 2014-15. That won’t be happening however, as it was reported by Jason Smith of the Memphis Commercial-Appeal that Powell has decided to transfer.
Powell’s father said the following to Smith in regards to the reason for his son’s decision to leave:
“The reason is a basic conflict of interest with coach (Josh) Pastner that apparently couldn’t be settled,” Powell’s father said.
Powell’s departure does hurt from a depth standpoint, but experience-wise the Tigers were going to be incredibly young on the perimeter either way. None of the three options mentioned by Smith, redshirt freshman Markel Crawford, incoming freshman Dominic Magee and junior college transfer Avery Woodson, have played a game at the Division I level.
With that being the case, it will be interesting to see if head coach Josh Pastner takes a look at the graduate transfer market this offseason. Michael Dixon Jr. was a one-year transfer this season, posting averages of 11.8 points and 2.4 assists per game and winning American Athletic Conference Sixth Man of the Year honors.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)