Apr 2, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
SMU 65, Clemson 59: The Mustangs trailed by a dozen, 38-26 at halftime, though, the energy picked up for Larry Brown’s team, as they held the Tigers to only 21 second half points. Clemson hit six 3-pointers in the second half, but only connected on a pair in the second half, none of which came in the final eight minutes.
Markus Kennedy had 21 points and was one rebound shy of a double-double with seven second remaining, SMU beat Clemson on a home run inbounds pass. Kennedy converted on the layup while drawing the foul. He sunk the ensuing free throw, making it a two-possession game and extending the Mustangs stay in New York.
SMU was one of the only snubs from the NCAA tournament and while Texas is hosting the Final Four this weekend, the Mustangs have the chance of going back home with some hardware.
Minnesota 67, Florida State 64 OT: Malik Smith, an 82 percent free throw shooter, had two shots with 7.4 seconds left. Either one would ice the game and secured a berth in Thursday night’s championship game. He missed both. The Golden Gophers were unprepared to foul off a missed free throw, and Devon Bookert made them pay with a 3-pointer on the right side of the top of the key, tying the game 60-60 with 0.3 seconds left, forcing overtime.
That would be the last field goal for almost five minutes, as the two teams combined to miss their first 15 shots of the extra frame. Maurice Walker made it a two-possession game with a made free throw giving Minnesota a 66-62 lead with 10 seconds left. Ian Miller hit the only field goal of overtime with a layup. Andre Hollins split a pair of free throws, keeping the door open again for Florida State.
Once again, Minnesota elected not to foul, but Miller’s potential game-tying 3-pointer was just off the mark.
Minnesota-SMU will tip at 7 p.m. on Thursday night inside Madison Square Garden.
Yale 75, VMI 62
Murray State 98, Pacific 75
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)