Apr 2, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
SMU 65, Clemson 59: The Mustangs trailed by a dozen, 38-26 at halftime, though, the energy picked up for Larry Brown’s team, as they held the Tigers to only 21 second half points. Clemson hit six 3-pointers in the second half, but only connected on a pair in the second half, none of which came in the final eight minutes.
Markus Kennedy had 21 points and was one rebound shy of a double-double with seven second remaining, SMU beat Clemson on a home run inbounds pass. Kennedy converted on the layup while drawing the foul. He sunk the ensuing free throw, making it a two-possession game and extending the Mustangs stay in New York.
SMU was one of the only snubs from the NCAA tournament and while Texas is hosting the Final Four this weekend, the Mustangs have the chance of going back home with some hardware.
Minnesota 67, Florida State 64 OT: Malik Smith, an 82 percent free throw shooter, had two shots with 7.4 seconds left. Either one would ice the game and secured a berth in Thursday night’s championship game. He missed both. The Golden Gophers were unprepared to foul off a missed free throw, and Devon Bookert made them pay with a 3-pointer on the right side of the top of the key, tying the game 60-60 with 0.3 seconds left, forcing overtime.
That would be the last field goal for almost five minutes, as the two teams combined to miss their first 15 shots of the extra frame. Maurice Walker made it a two-possession game with a made free throw giving Minnesota a 66-62 lead with 10 seconds left. Ian Miller hit the only field goal of overtime with a layup. Andre Hollins split a pair of free throws, keeping the door open again for Florida State.
Once again, Minnesota elected not to foul, but Miller’s potential game-tying 3-pointer was just off the mark.
Minnesota-SMU will tip at 7 p.m. on Thursday night inside Madison Square Garden.
Yale 75, VMI 62
Murray State 98, Pacific 75
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)