Apr 2, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
According to Tom Layman of the Boston Herald, Boston University is losing three players to transfer, including talented sophomore guard Maurice “Mo” Watson Jr. Boston head coach Joe Jones confirmed the news to Layman. A pair of junior forwards — James Kennedy and Malik Thomas — will also transfer from Boston, as well.
Layman spoke with Jones, who said that Watson wants to play at a higher level. Watson averaged 13.4 points, 7.1 assists per game last season in leading the Terriers to a regular-season title in the Patriot League.
“I think the big thing is we love Mo,” said Jones to the Boston Herald. “He had a tremendous impact on the program. We loved him. We just want the best for him. I think it would be great to have him stay. We would love for him to stay.
“But we also want what is best for him,” Jones said after granting Watson’s release.
Thomas will graduate this year and is eligible as a graduate transfer at forward. The 6-foot-7 forward averaged 5.8 points and four rebounds per game last season.
Kennedy missed last season and is seeking more playing time.
The loss of Watson is a huge loss for Boston going forward as he was an All-League type of performer.
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 0
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)