Apr 2, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
According to Tom Layman of the Boston Herald, Boston University is losing three players to transfer, including talented sophomore guard Maurice “Mo” Watson Jr. Boston head coach Joe Jones confirmed the news to Layman. A pair of junior forwards — James Kennedy and Malik Thomas — will also transfer from Boston, as well.
Layman spoke with Jones, who said that Watson wants to play at a higher level. Watson averaged 13.4 points, 7.1 assists per game last season in leading the Terriers to a regular-season title in the Patriot League.
“I think the big thing is we love Mo,” said Jones to the Boston Herald. “He had a tremendous impact on the program. We loved him. We just want the best for him. I think it would be great to have him stay. We would love for him to stay.
“But we also want what is best for him,” Jones said after granting Watson’s release.
Thomas will graduate this year and is eligible as a graduate transfer at forward. The 6-foot-7 forward averaged 5.8 points and four rebounds per game last season.
Kennedy missed last season and is seeking more playing time.
The loss of Watson is a huge loss for Boston going forward as he was an All-League type of performer.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)