Apr 2, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
While the season did not end the way he wanted it to, the accolades continue to roll in for Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall.
Marshall, whose Shockers finished the season with a 35-1 record, was named UPS Division I National Coach of the Year by the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC). Marshall has now coaches seven seasons at Wichita State, winning 174 games and boasting a winning percentage of 71%. Also a finalist for the Naismith Coach of the Year award, Marshall has already been named national Coach of the Year by the USBWA.
Wichita State became the first team to enter the NCAA tournament undefeated since UNLV did so in 1991, with their season coming to an end with a two-point loss to No. 8 Kentucky in the round of 32. Since that result the Wildcats have gone on to reach the Final Four, beating two other 2013 Final Four participants (Louisville and Michigan) in the Midwest regional.
Also honored by the NABC were Kim Anderson, who led his Central Missouri team to a Division II national title, and Wisconsin-Whitewater head coach Pat Miller.
Like Anderson Miller’s team won a national title (Division III), with a Quardell Young layup with nine tenths of a second remaining giving the Warhawks a 75-73 win over Williams College in the title game.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)