Apr 2, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
While the season did not end the way he wanted it to, the accolades continue to roll in for Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall.
Marshall, whose Shockers finished the season with a 35-1 record, was named UPS Division I National Coach of the Year by the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC). Marshall has now coaches seven seasons at Wichita State, winning 174 games and boasting a winning percentage of 71%. Also a finalist for the Naismith Coach of the Year award, Marshall has already been named national Coach of the Year by the USBWA.
Wichita State became the first team to enter the NCAA tournament undefeated since UNLV did so in 1991, with their season coming to an end with a two-point loss to No. 8 Kentucky in the round of 32. Since that result the Wildcats have gone on to reach the Final Four, beating two other 2013 Final Four participants (Louisville and Michigan) in the Midwest regional.
Also honored by the NABC were Kim Anderson, who led his Central Missouri team to a Division II national title, and Wisconsin-Whitewater head coach Pat Miller.
Like Anderson Miller’s team won a national title (Division III), with a Quardell Young layup with nine tenths of a second remaining giving the Warhawks a 75-73 win over Williams College in the title game.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)