Apr 3, 2014, 12:20 AM EST
Wednesday night in Chicago many of the nation’s best incoming freshmen were on display, playing in the 37th edition of the McDonald’s All-American Game. The East and West teams put forth a tight affair throughout the night, with a Jahlil Okafor dunk late giving the West team the lead for good in its 105-102 victory.
Okafor, who’s headed to Duke next season, finished the game with 17 points and seven rebounds and earned West MVP honors in the process. The East MVP was North Carolina signee Justin Jackson, with the slender wing accounting for 23 points and five rebounds.
Assisting Okafor leading the West were SMU signee Emmanuel Mudiay, who finished the game with 15 points and six assists, and UNLV verbal commitment Rashad Vaughn (14 points, five rebounds). Mudiay, given his skill level and versatility, could very well be the difference-maker for a program that just missed out on its first NCAA tournament appearance since 1993. Kelly Oubre, who’s headed to Kansas, added 11 points for the West.
Joining Jackson in double figures for the East team were Indiana signee James Blackmon Jr. (13 points) and Ohio State signee D’Angelo Russell (11). Kansas signee Cliff Alexander finished with nine points and ten rebounds, and Duke signee Tyus Jones added seven points and ten assists.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)