Apr 3, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
St. John’s sophomore Chris Obekpa has received a release from the university, according to a report from Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv.
He is expected to transfer out of the program.
Obekpa averaged 3.8 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.0 blocks this past season, but his minutes were reduced late in the season. He played just two minutes in a loss to Providence in the Big East tournament and 11 minutes in a loss to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT.
With JaKarr Sampson heading off to the NBA and Max Hooper transferring out of the program, the Johnnies have just seven scholarship guys returning.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)