Apr 3, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
St. John’s sophomore Chris Obekpa has received a release from the university, according to a report from Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv.
He is expected to transfer out of the program.
Obekpa averaged 3.8 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.0 blocks this past season, but his minutes were reduced late in the season. He played just two minutes in a loss to Providence in the Big East tournament and 11 minutes in a loss to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT.
With JaKarr Sampson heading off to the NBA and Max Hooper transferring out of the program, the Johnnies have just seven scholarship guys returning.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)