Apr 3, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
St. John’s sophomore Chris Obekpa has received a release from the university, according to a report from Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv.
He is expected to transfer out of the program.
Obekpa averaged 3.8 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.0 blocks this past season, but his minutes were reduced late in the season. He played just two minutes in a loss to Providence in the Big East tournament and 11 minutes in a loss to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT.
With JaKarr Sampson heading off to the NBA and Max Hooper transferring out of the program, the Johnnies have just seven scholarship guys returning.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)