Apr 3, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
St. John’s sophomore Chris Obekpa has received a release from the university, according to a report from Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv.
He is expected to transfer out of the program.
Obekpa averaged 3.8 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.0 blocks this past season, but his minutes were reduced late in the season. He played just two minutes in a loss to Providence in the Big East tournament and 11 minutes in a loss to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT.
With JaKarr Sampson heading off to the NBA and Max Hooper transferring out of the program, the Johnnies have just seven scholarship guys returning.
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 1
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)