Apr 4, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
With more than 3,000 points and player of the year awards in two different conferences (Missouri Valley and Big East) during his career, Creighton’s Doug McDermott will go down as one of the all-time greats. As for this season the forward has managed to collect multiple national Player of the Year honors, with the most recent being the Oscar Robertson Award that’s presented by the United States Basketball Writers Association.
The USBWA made the news official in a press conference Friday morning at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, site of the Final Four. McDermott is just the third winner of the USBWA’s top individual honor from a Big East school, with St. John’s Chris Mullin (1985) and Walter Berry (1986) being the other two.
McDermott, who finished his college career with 3,150 points, averaged 26.7 points and 7.0 rebounds per game this season. And he was efficient in doing so, shooting 52.6% from the field, 44.9% from beyond the arc and 86.4% from the foul line. In total, ten different outlets, including the Associated Press, have named McDermott national Player of the Year with the Naismith Award winner still yet to be announced.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)