Apr 4, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
As the Dayton Flyers made their way through the NCAA tournament and into the Elite Eight for the first time in 30 years, one attribute many latched onto was their depth. With 11 players contributing, the depth of Archie Miller’s team was a key factor in their unexpected run.
One player who was not a part of that rotation was junior center Alex Gavrilovic, who played just four minutes in their Sweet 16 win over Stanford and prior to that hadn’t played since a loss at Saint Joseph’s on February 25. Friday it was reported by multiple outlets, first by Alex Kline of The Recruit Scoop, that Gavrilovic has decided to transfer for his senior season. He’s expected to graduate this spring, thus becoming eligible to play immediately at his next school.
However according to a story by David Jablonski of the Springfield News-Sun, Gavrilovic’s coach at IMG Academy also noted the possibility of the player returning to Europe (he’s a native of France) to play professionally.
“Alex has received his release and will look to transfer upon graduation or potentially turn pro back in France,” Dan Barto wrote in an email. “He will be looking for a situation with 25 plus minutes per game for his final year of eligibility most likely in a smaller conference.”
In three seasons at Dayton, Gavrilovic played ten minutes and averaged 3.0 points and 1.9 rebounds per game. Dayton will also lose Devin Oliver and Matt Kavanaugh to graduation, but return Dyshawn Pierre, Devon Scott, Jalen Robinson and Kendall Pollard to its front court rotation.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)