Apr 4, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
As the Dayton Flyers made their way through the NCAA tournament and into the Elite Eight for the first time in 30 years, one attribute many latched onto was their depth. With 11 players contributing, the depth of Archie Miller’s team was a key factor in their unexpected run.
One player who was not a part of that rotation was junior center Alex Gavrilovic, who played just four minutes in their Sweet 16 win over Stanford and prior to that hadn’t played since a loss at Saint Joseph’s on February 25. Friday it was reported by multiple outlets, first by Alex Kline of The Recruit Scoop, that Gavrilovic has decided to transfer for his senior season. He’s expected to graduate this spring, thus becoming eligible to play immediately at his next school.
However according to a story by David Jablonski of the Springfield News-Sun, Gavrilovic’s coach at IMG Academy also noted the possibility of the player returning to Europe (he’s a native of France) to play professionally.
“Alex has received his release and will look to transfer upon graduation or potentially turn pro back in France,” Dan Barto wrote in an email. “He will be looking for a situation with 25 plus minutes per game for his final year of eligibility most likely in a smaller conference.”
In three seasons at Dayton, Gavrilovic played ten minutes and averaged 3.0 points and 1.9 rebounds per game. Dayton will also lose Devin Oliver and Matt Kavanaugh to graduation, but return Dyshawn Pierre, Devon Scott, Jalen Robinson and Kendall Pollard to its front court rotation.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)