Apr 4, 2014, 1:19 PM EST
Jim Boeheim went on Sportscenter on Friday morning and took the time to chat about Tyler Ennis and his recent decision to enter the NBA Draft.
It’s not exactly flattering.
“I think he is a great college player, but I think physically he could have used another year,” Boeheim said. “I think when you get to the NBA, you need to be as physically ready as you can be, so I think Tyler could have benefited from another year, but certainly he is a tremendous player and a very smart point guard.”
“I think point guard is probably the hardest position to break into in the NBA … but he has the skill set to be able to do that … it’s just a question of landing in the right place.”
I get why this will rankle some feathers, but the point needs to be made: there is nothing inaccurate about what Boeheim said.
Ennis does need to get physically stronger before he has a major impact at the NBA level. He probably would have benefitted had he returned for another year. The point guard spot is tough to break into in the NBA.
And while it does seems to be poor form for Boehiem to go on national television and say all of this, you don’t think that the NBA scouts are already fully aware of what Ennis can do and what his limitations are?
Honestly, I don’t have an issue with what Boeheim said. Am I crazy?
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)