Apr 4, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
Within the past week, it has been announced that both Jordan Clarkson and Jabari Brown would leave Missouri and enter the NBA draft. Since there hasn’t been an update regarding whether Shane Rector and Wes Clark have been reinstated, coach Frank Haith needed to bolster his backcourt depth, and the program recently received a commitment from Kevin Punter, a guard from State Fair Community College.
According to Brad Winton of Juco Recruiting, Punter is a versatile guard who seems to be peaking at the right time: in his teams two tournament games at the NJCAA, Punter averaged more than 25 points per game and made 68.1 percent of his twos. He didn’t display an accurate touch from long-range, but on the season, Punter’s shooting from beyond the arc was adequate (36 percent), and the guard should account for some of the minutes lost when Brown and Clarkson departed (as well as some of the their scoring).
Along with the additions of Deuce Bello and Cameron Biedscheid, Missouri should have twelve Tigers under scholarship for next season (including Punter), so the natural assumption is that Haith and his staff aren’t finished recruiting for the 2015 season. The team could still use some backcourt depth, and Haith may still land a juco guard, or the staff might strengthen the frontcourt: Johnathan Williams and Ryan Rosburg are the only two returning bigs who used more than 50 percent of Mizzou’s available minutes.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)