Apr 5, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
Georgetown’s frontcourt was simply a mess this season. Joshua Smith, the celebrated transfer from UCLA, only played thirteen games before he was ruled academically ineligible, and Mikael Hopkins was inconsistent. However, one big that did manage to shine slightly was Moses Ayegba, the once highly-touted recruit who proved a defensive force, both on the glass and on the interior, in 2014. Ayegba, though, is now transferring, per a report from Adam Zagoria, and has one year of eligibility remaining.
Ayegba’s extra minutes were largely due to concerns of coach John Thompson III, who essentially had no frontcourt depth or rhythm for much of the year — the coach didn’t know who would show up each game. Hopkins would play well one game, and then disappear the next two. Jabril Trawick is aggressive and physical, two traits inherent for a successful big, but he was plagued with injuries, and while Nate Lubick did play well, he was an offensive liability as he attempted only 11 percent of the team’s shots in his final year.
The move is a smart one for Ayegba — Hopkins, Trawick, and Smith all return, there should be more minutes for an improving Reggie Cameron, and the Hoyas’ 2014 is laden with bigs. Ayegba has proven he can contribute defensively in short spurts, so a move down a level, to a non-BCS school, might benefit the 6-foot-9 Ayegba.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)