Apr 5, 2014, 10:16 AM EST
Georgetown’s frontcourt was simply a mess this season. Joshua Smith, the celebrated transfer from UCLA, only played thirteen games before he was ruled academically ineligible, and Mikael Hopkins was inconsistent. However, one big that did manage to shine slightly was Moses Ayegba, the once highly-touted recruit who proved a defensive force, both on the glass and on the interior, in 2014. Ayegba, though, is now transferring, per a report from Adam Zagoria, and has one year of eligibility remaining.
Ayegba’s extra minutes were largely due to concerns of coach John Thompson III, who essentially had no frontcourt depth or rhythm for much of the year — the coach didn’t know who would show up each game. Hopkins would play well one game, and then disappear the next two. Jabril Trawick is aggressive and physical, two traits inherent for a successful big, but he was plagued with injuries, and while Nate Lubick did play well, he was an offensive liability as he attempted only 11 percent of the team’s shots in his final year.
The move is a smart one for Ayegba — Hopkins, Trawick, and Smith all return, there should be more minutes for an improving Reggie Cameron, and the Hoyas’ 2014 is laden with bigs. Ayegba has proven he can contribute defensively in short spurts, so a move down a level, to a non-BCS school, might benefit the 6-foot-9 Ayegba.
- WCC Midseason Catchup: No. 8 Gonzaga leads the way 0
- The top 15 most improved players in college basketball 2
- Late Night Snacks: George Washington wins the Diamond Head Classic 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Arizona Wildcats 2
- The ten biggest disappointments of the 2014-2015 college basketball season 4
- New Year’s Resolutions: Gonzaga Bulldogs 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Duke Blue Devils 1
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville (5)
- The ten biggest disappointments of the 2014-2015 college basketball season (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)
- One suitor for Duke transfer hopes to land him despite not having an available scholarship (3)