Apr 5, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
Georgetown’s frontcourt was simply a mess this season. Joshua Smith, the celebrated transfer from UCLA, only played thirteen games before he was ruled academically ineligible, and Mikael Hopkins was inconsistent. However, one big that did manage to shine slightly was Moses Ayegba, the once highly-touted recruit who proved a defensive force, both on the glass and on the interior, in 2014. Ayegba, though, is now transferring, per a report from Adam Zagoria, and has one year of eligibility remaining.
Ayegba’s extra minutes were largely due to concerns of coach John Thompson III, who essentially had no frontcourt depth or rhythm for much of the year — the coach didn’t know who would show up each game. Hopkins would play well one game, and then disappear the next two. Jabril Trawick is aggressive and physical, two traits inherent for a successful big, but he was plagued with injuries, and while Nate Lubick did play well, he was an offensive liability as he attempted only 11 percent of the team’s shots in his final year.
The move is a smart one for Ayegba — Hopkins, Trawick, and Smith all return, there should be more minutes for an improving Reggie Cameron, and the Hoyas’ 2014 is laden with bigs. Ayegba has proven he can contribute defensively in short spurts, so a move down a level, to a non-BCS school, might benefit the 6-foot-9 Ayegba.
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)