Apr 5, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
During the past two seasons, Charlotte’s coach Alan Major has significantly cut down the amount of three-point attempts his squad takes. The team’s three-point rate ranked among the lowest in DI in 2013 and 2014, and though the 49ers don’t take many long-range shots, they did make quite a few this season — Charlotte made 36 percent of their shots. According to a report from Jon Rothstein, though, Charlotte will lose one of their top shooters to transfer: sophomore Denzel Ingram will transfer from the Conference USA program and have two years of eligibility remaining.
Ingram used more than 50 percent of the team’s minutes as a freshman, and while his usage rate remained essentially stagnant as a soph, he spent his offseason refining his three-point shot. Ingram increased his percentage to 44.1 percent, making nearly twenty more threes in his second year, and emerged as one of the team’s best scoring threats from the perimeter.
The 49ers should still be a threat in conference play in 2104-14; other than Ingram and departing senior Ben Cherry, Major shouldn’t lose any other players. The trio of Willie Clayton, Shawn Lester, and Pierria Henry should be able to offensively carry the team, but Ingram’s loss deprives Major of a complimentary scoring threat.
- Two-time plane crash survivor Austin Hatch scores first career point in Michigan win (VIDEO) 0
- Late Night Snacks: Temple blows out Kansas, Purdue loses to Gardner-Webb 0
- Temple embarrasses No. 10 Kansas by 25 points 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)