Apr 5, 2014, 11:04 AM EST
Joe Posnanski of NBC Sports has a compelling take on what makes John Calipari so special, in light of all the NCAA’s talk about ‘student athletes’ and ‘special kids’, and Posnanski argues that the lack of illusions presented by Calipari makes him a unique figure.
The article is well-worth a read, even if you are a Calipari detractor or someone who prefers seniors or graduate transfers over succeed-and-proceed freshmen. One sentence struck me particularly:
This is college basketball in a time when the NBA refuses to fund a viable developmental league, when the NCAA refuses to budge on amateurism, when college athletes talk about forming unions and when the NCAA basketball tournament is a multi-billion dollar business.
Posnanski has shed light on the genesis of Calipari’s being. Fine, the NCAA wants to make money off these athletes, but allow the kids, the ones who the NCAA saves it is serving, to join the game too. Calipari was the first of the modern generation of coaches to understand that, and he is likely the only coach who, at his core, continues to truly understand it.
As you prep for the Final Four this evening, you owe it to yourself to read Posnanski’s piece.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)