Apr 6, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
Montverde Academy (Fla.) capped off a perfect season with national title win on Saturday afternoon inside the World’s Most Famous Arena. The Eagles (28-0) held off Oak Hill Academy (Va.), 71-62, in the Dick’s Sporting Goods High School National Tournament championship game at Madison Square Garden.
Montverde Academy repeats as national champion. Two of Montverde’s star players last season — Kasey Hill and Dakari Johnson — appeared in Saturday night’s Final Four.
“The last couple of years, we’ve made some good strides to build the Montverde name,” Montverde Academy head coach Kevin Boyle said, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
Australian native and LSU commit Ben Simmons scored 24 points, 12 rebounds and five assists. The future Tiger earned tournament MVP honors. D’Angelo Russell, who will be at Ohio State next year, ended with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
Cody Martin, who play at NC State next season with his twin brother Caleb, led Oak Hill with 14 points and 10 boards.
Montverde Academy is ranked as the top team in the USA Today Super 25 rankings, and was No. 2 in the nation according to MaxPreps entering Saturday.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)