Apr 6, 2014, 10:16 AM EST
Montverde Academy (Fla.) capped off a perfect season with national title win on Saturday afternoon inside the World’s Most Famous Arena. The Eagles (28-0) held off Oak Hill Academy (Va.), 71-62, in the Dick’s Sporting Goods High School National Tournament championship game at Madison Square Garden.
Montverde Academy repeats as national champion. Two of Montverde’s star players last season — Kasey Hill and Dakari Johnson — appeared in Saturday night’s Final Four.
“The last couple of years, we’ve made some good strides to build the Montverde name,” Montverde Academy head coach Kevin Boyle said, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
Australian native and LSU commit Ben Simmons scored 24 points, 12 rebounds and five assists. The future Tiger earned tournament MVP honors. D’Angelo Russell, who will be at Ohio State next year, ended with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
Cody Martin, who play at NC State next season with his twin brother Caleb, led Oak Hill with 14 points and 10 boards.
Montverde Academy is ranked as the top team in the USA Today Super 25 rankings, and was No. 2 in the nation according to MaxPreps entering Saturday.
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)