Apr 6, 2014, 10:16 AM EST
Montverde Academy (Fla.) capped off a perfect season with national title win on Saturday afternoon inside the World’s Most Famous Arena. The Eagles (28-0) held off Oak Hill Academy (Va.), 71-62, in the Dick’s Sporting Goods High School National Tournament championship game at Madison Square Garden.
Montverde Academy repeats as national champion. Two of Montverde’s star players last season — Kasey Hill and Dakari Johnson — appeared in Saturday night’s Final Four.
“The last couple of years, we’ve made some good strides to build the Montverde name,” Montverde Academy head coach Kevin Boyle said, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
Australian native and LSU commit Ben Simmons scored 24 points, 12 rebounds and five assists. The future Tiger earned tournament MVP honors. D’Angelo Russell, who will be at Ohio State next year, ended with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
Cody Martin, who play at NC State next season with his twin brother Caleb, led Oak Hill with 14 points and 10 boards.
Montverde Academy is ranked as the top team in the USA Today Super 25 rankings, and was No. 2 in the nation according to MaxPreps entering Saturday.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)