Apr 6, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
Montverde Academy (Fla.) capped off a perfect season with national title win on Saturday afternoon inside the World’s Most Famous Arena. The Eagles (28-0) held off Oak Hill Academy (Va.), 71-62, in the Dick’s Sporting Goods High School National Tournament championship game at Madison Square Garden.
Montverde Academy repeats as national champion. Two of Montverde’s star players last season — Kasey Hill and Dakari Johnson — appeared in Saturday night’s Final Four.
“The last couple of years, we’ve made some good strides to build the Montverde name,” Montverde Academy head coach Kevin Boyle said, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
Australian native and LSU commit Ben Simmons scored 24 points, 12 rebounds and five assists. The future Tiger earned tournament MVP honors. D’Angelo Russell, who will be at Ohio State next year, ended with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
Cody Martin, who play at NC State next season with his twin brother Caleb, led Oak Hill with 14 points and 10 boards.
Montverde Academy is ranked as the top team in the USA Today Super 25 rankings, and was No. 2 in the nation according to MaxPreps entering Saturday.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)