Apr 6, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
Montverde Academy (Fla.) capped off a perfect season with national title win on Saturday afternoon inside the World’s Most Famous Arena. The Eagles (28-0) held off Oak Hill Academy (Va.), 71-62, in the Dick’s Sporting Goods High School National Tournament championship game at Madison Square Garden.
Montverde Academy repeats as national champion. Two of Montverde’s star players last season — Kasey Hill and Dakari Johnson — appeared in Saturday night’s Final Four.
“The last couple of years, we’ve made some good strides to build the Montverde name,” Montverde Academy head coach Kevin Boyle said, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
Australian native and LSU commit Ben Simmons scored 24 points, 12 rebounds and five assists. The future Tiger earned tournament MVP honors. D’Angelo Russell, who will be at Ohio State next year, ended with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
Cody Martin, who play at NC State next season with his twin brother Caleb, led Oak Hill with 14 points and 10 boards.
Montverde Academy is ranked as the top team in the USA Today Super 25 rankings, and was No. 2 in the nation according to MaxPreps entering Saturday.
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 2
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 2
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Born without a right hand, Omar Ndiaye looking for his chance 0
- Illinois starting point guard suffers season-ending knee injury 1
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Report: Providence legend Marvin ‘Bad News’ Barnes passes away (2)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)