Apr 6, 2014, 12:31 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
North Dakota State head coach Saul Phillips led his Bison to the Round of 32 in the program’s second NCAA tournament appearance since 2009. That success comes at a price.
Just past midnight, following a pair of Final Four games, a report surfaced that Ohio University will name Phillips as its new head coach.
“I am extremely excited about the future of Ohio basketball and I am elated to have a chance to add to its rich tradition,” Phillips said in a statement. “This is an outstanding university in a terrific community. I share the vision of the administration as to what the enormous potential is of this storied program. I simply cannot wait to start working with our players and helping them reach their potential. I want our fans and my players to know that I will pour maximum energy and enthusiasm into Bobcat basketball.”
Phillips comes from the Bo Ryan coaching tree, and this offseason, following an upset win over No. 5 seed Oklahoma, had been rumored to be in contention for openings at Washington State, Marquette and Tulsa.
He will be taking over for Jim Christian, who replaced John Groce as head coach of the Bobcats for two seasons. On Thursday, Christian accepted the Boston College job.
In six seasons at North Dakota State, Phillips compiled a 118-71 record. He will take over an Ohio team, that won 25 games in 2013-2014, finishing third in the MAC East Division.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)