Apr 6, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
For the first time since 2011, a UConn women’s basketball player was named Associated Press National Player of the Year when it was announced on Saturday that sophomore forward Breanna Stewart took home the yearly honors.
She is the first Husky to be named player of the year since Maya Moore, who also won the award in 2009, but in 2010 the honor went to teammate Tina Charles. Baylor center Brittney Griner won the award in back-to-back years since the UConn three-peat.
“It’s a great reflection of our program and the University of Connecticut,” UConn head coach Geno Auriemma said according to the Hartford Courant. “Mostly it’s the hard work Stewie has put into the game, how much she has improved from last year. You could make a case for Chiney [Ogwumike of Stanford]. You could make a case for [Baylor’s] Odyssey Sims.
“But in the end, it’s hard to find somebody who’s had the type of season Stewie’s had all-around. And she’s so young. So much pressure on her, given what she did at the Final Four last year. It’s not easy for her.”
Stewart is averaging 19.4 points and 8.1 rebounds for undefeated UConn.
Despite losing Skylar Diggins to graduation, Notre Dame head coach Muffet McGraw has led the Fighting Irish to a perfect season so far. She was presented with the Associated Press National Coach of the Year award on Saturday.
UConn and Notre Dame enter Nashville with unblemished records. One could end with a perfect season while Maryland and Stanford look to pull upsets.
The women’s Final Four tips Sunday night with Maryland-Notre Dame beginning at 6:30 p.m. followed by Stanford-UConn at 9 p.m.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)