Apr 7, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
Oklahoma State sophomore guard Marcus Smart returned for his sophomore season amid a lot of fanfare along with senior wing Markel Brown and junior wing Le’Bryan Nash last spring. Now the 6-foot-4 Smart will go pro, according to a report in the Oklahoman. The sophomore will move to Los Angeles to train later this week, according to the story.
“I’ve told my teammates and my coaching staff, this year was my last year here and I am declaring for the NBA Draft,” Smart said in the John Helsey story. “I have picked an agent, with the Wasserman Group, a great group of guys.
“Ready to rock and roll. I’m getting ready for the NBA Draft and I’m ready to start training.”
Smart averaged 18 points, 5.9 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 2.9 steals per game in an up-and-down year that included a losing streak, a fan shoving incident and a return to the NCAA Tournament before falling to Gonzaga in the Round of 64.
“I had a great season here at Oklahoma State,” Smart said in the story. “It’s weird, because I didn’t go to the NBA Draft last year, I chose to come back – which I do not regret at all. A lot of people say I made the wrong decision. But who are they to tell me what I should have done? It’s me, not them.
“I believe I made the right decision. I get to do what I love to do.”
Smart is a likely lottery pick in the 2014 NBA Draft. Last year, some viewed Smart as a potential No. 1 pick candidate before he returned to school and played against a strong group of freshmen that saw his stock slip a little bit.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 2
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)