Apr 7, 2014, 2:38 PM EDT
Maryland has landed a commitment from Michal Cekovsky, a top 50 recruit from Slovakia that was playing his high school ball for the Canarias Basketball Academy in Spain.
The news was first reported by InsideMDSports.com.
Cekovsky is a versatile seven-footer that picked the Terps over the likes of Florida and Arizona. “Michal’s upside is off the charts,” Canarias coach Rob Orellana told ZagsBlogs.com in February. “His skillset at 7-feet makes him a unique player. Add to that the fact he is a tireless worker. No question he will be a major impact player at a high-major program.”
This creates a bit of an issue for the Terps, however. They now have 16 players scheduled to be on scholarship for the 2014-2015 season. One of them, Varun Ram, is a former walk-on that will likely be put back on walk-on status, but that still means that two of those players will not be playing for the Terps this season.
Cekovsky joins a recruiting class that already includes Romelo Trimble, Dion Wiley, Trayvon Reed and Jared Nickens.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)