Apr 7, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
UConn spurred into title game by Daniels, doubt (NBC Sports)
While both finalists can point to outsiders doubting their chances of reaching Monday’s title game, only one can do so after losing its regular season finale by 33 points. That’s No. 7 UConn, and the Huskies are rolling thanks in part to the improved play of DeAndre Daniels. With Daniels playing his best basketball of the season, Kevin Ollie’s program is hoping to win a fourth national title.
Calipari limping into Final Four (Louisville Courier-Journal)
Kentucky head coach John Calipari has been running his program at less than full strength for much of this season, thanks to a bad hip that will likely need to be replaced after the season ends. The hope now is to take a second national title into the offseason, as he works to get back into good physical condition.
Polarizing Wildcats find their way together (New York Times)
A key aspect of Kentucky’s late-season turnaround has been the improved play of twins Aaron and Andrew Harrison. Aaron’s received the majority of the praise given his making of big shots in wins over Louisville, Michigan and Wisconsin, but Andrew’s improvement at the point has helped as well.
Title run giving paralyzed Kentucky fan feelings of happiness (CBS Sports)
There’s no doubt that sports can serve as a source of inspiration, with a person’s favorite player or team providing an example of what can happen with hard work and a little bit of luck. That’s been the case for Kentucky fan Dick Gregory, who has been a longtime supporter of the Wildcats. Gregory’s been paralyzed since falling at Rupp Arena on November 1, and head coach John Calipari and his players have taken time to lift his spirits throughout the season.
After weeks of ridicule, Kentucky’s “ink prophet” is now one win from vindication (Yahoo Sports)
When it was learned that 22-year old Tyler Austin Black had essentially guaranteed that Kentucky would win a ninth national title by getting a tattoo stating that on March 13, he became the butt of many jokes nationally. The Wildcats looked nothing like a title contender at the time, so the artwork represented wasted money in the eyes of many. However Black may have been onto something, and should the Wildcats complete their run Monday night he’ll have the last laugh.
Even as a kid at the Roxbury Y, Shabazz was something special (Hartford Courant)
UConn senior guard Shabazz Napier’s path to prominence has been well-documented, with his going from the Roxbury, Mass. to within a win of his second national title. And according to those who knew him when he was growing up, the point guard has always been something special.
UConn men’s bond extends well beyond court (Connecticut Post)
Given the struggles they endured at certain points in the season, neither UConn nor Kentucky would be in Monday’s title game if they did not remain close. For UConn, that means seven players living in the same apartment complex and the freshmen making a seamless transition into the program. And the relationships have made this season a special one for Kevin Ollie’s Huskies.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)