Apr 8, 2014, 8:31 PM EDT
Kentucky’s season began with high expectations after John Calipari assembled “the greatest recruiting class in history” with ridiculous chatter of 40-0 as a possibility.
In March, Kentucky lost to top-ranked Florida for the second and third time, upping the loss total to 10 heading into the NCAA tournament.
Selection Sunday ended with Kentucky slotted as the No. 8 seed in the bracket’s most difficult region. The Wildcats went on an unlikely run through the likes of undefeated Wichita State, rival Louisville and last year’s national runner-up Michigan.
An 11-loss season wasn’t what many anticipated in the preseason, but a Final Four appearance also didn’t seem likely when Kentucky lost to South Carolina on March 1.
“This was an unbelievable journey that none of us staff or players will ever forget,” Kentucky head coach John Calipari told the crowd at Rupp Arena.
An up-and-down season ended with both the thrills of a tournament run and the disappointment of a championship loss for Kentucky. Calipari recapped the 2013-2014 season in front of Big Blue Nation on Tuesday.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)