Apr 8, 2014, 8:31 PM EST
Kentucky’s season began with high expectations after John Calipari assembled “the greatest recruiting class in history” with ridiculous chatter of 40-0 as a possibility.
In March, Kentucky lost to top-ranked Florida for the second and third time, upping the loss total to 10 heading into the NCAA tournament.
Selection Sunday ended with Kentucky slotted as the No. 8 seed in the bracket’s most difficult region. The Wildcats went on an unlikely run through the likes of undefeated Wichita State, rival Louisville and last year’s national runner-up Michigan.
An 11-loss season wasn’t what many anticipated in the preseason, but a Final Four appearance also didn’t seem likely when Kentucky lost to South Carolina on March 1.
“This was an unbelievable journey that none of us staff or players will ever forget,” Kentucky head coach John Calipari told the crowd at Rupp Arena.
An up-and-down season ended with both the thrills of a tournament run and the disappointment of a championship loss for Kentucky. Calipari recapped the 2013-2014 season in front of Big Blue Nation on Tuesday.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)