Apr 8, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
For the third time since the season ended, a player has been granted his release from Maine. The latest transfer is leading scorer Xavier Pollard.
The junior guard announced his intent to finish his career elsewhere on Tuesday.
“After meeting with Xavier today, we agreed it would be in his best interest to look at transferring at this time,” Maine head coach Ted Woodward said in a statement on Tuesday. “We wish him the best of luck in his future academic and athletic endeavors.”
Pollard, the 6-foot-3 shooting guard, led the Black Bears with 14.7 points and was second on the team in rebounds at 4.7 boards per game in 2013-2014. He finished the season as an American East third team selection.
On March 27, Maine saw two players — Dimitry Akanda-Coronel and Mitch Worcester — elected to leave the program. Akanda-Coronel was third on the team in scoring at 10.4 points per game.
“We’ve got a student-athlete like Xavier who’s had some pretty good success on the court for us, has shown some good potential,” Creech said. “Now he wants to test himself to see if he can put himself in a position to play at a higher-level Division I school.”
While no specific schools have emerged as potential landing spots for Pollard, Jeff Depelteau, his former prep school coach at Suffield Academy (Conn.), told NBC Sports that Pollard is looking at schools in bigger conferences such as the CAA, MAAC and Atlantic 10.
Pollard will have one year of eligibility remaining after he sits out the 2014-2015 season.
Maine finished 6-23 (4-11 American East) this past season.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)