Apr 9, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
In a move that surprised absolutely nobody, Joel Embiid officially announced that he will be entering his name into the NBA Draft.
“Looking at different scenarios and gathering info of what was best for me,” Embiid said. “Either way was best for me.”
“Talking to my mentor, it was best the choice.”
Embiid averaged 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in his 28 games, but he missed time late in the season, including both the Big 12 tournament and the NCAA tournament, because of a stress fracture that he suffered in his back. He was projected as the No. 1 pick in the draft for the majority of the season, but he could slip to No. 3 if teams are not convinced that his back in healthy.
Embiid follows Andrew Wiggins to the NBA, but Kansas did get some good news with Wayne Selden returning to school. They add Kelly Oubre and Cliff Alexander, and are right in the mix for Myles Turner as well. Even without Embiid, the Jayhawks were No. 4 in our preseason top 25 poll.
“The bottom line is he’s disappointed absolutely no one in our program,” Self said. “I don’t think he could have made a bad decision, but I think he made a good decision.”
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)