Apr 9, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
With guard Tim Frazier out of eligibility, some playing time has opened up in the Penn State backcourt for the 2014-15 season. D.J. Newbill and John Johnson will both be seniors, and in Geno Thorpe head coach Patrick Chambers has an underclassman who will be asked to lead the way when Newbill and Johnson depart.
One guard who won’t be a part of Penn State’s future plans is 6-foot-2 Graham Woodward, who has elected to transfer. First reported by Alex Kline of The Recruit Scoop, Woodward’s decision was announced officially by the program Wednesday afternoon.
Woodward will have three years of eligibility remaining, beginning with the 2015-16 season.
“Graham has made the decision to continue his playing career elsewhere,” Chambers said in the release. “He is a tough, hard-working player and a great young man; we wish him the best moving forward.”
Woodward made much of his impact offensively from beyond the arc, as 23 of the 30 field goals he made were three-pointers. A 39.0% shooter from three, Woodward averaged 2.8 points and 0.9 rebounds in 12.5 minutes of action per game. And it’s likely that similar minutes would have been tough to come by in 2014-15.
If Newbill, Johnson and Thorpe all return (as expected) Penn State will be up to five perimeter options, with Shep Garner and Isaiah Washington having signed National Letters of Intent. And Woodward’s decision frees up a scholarship for the Nittany Lions, should Chambers and the coaching staff look to add another player.
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)