Apr 9, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
With guard Tim Frazier out of eligibility, some playing time has opened up in the Penn State backcourt for the 2014-15 season. D.J. Newbill and John Johnson will both be seniors, and in Geno Thorpe head coach Patrick Chambers has an underclassman who will be asked to lead the way when Newbill and Johnson depart.
One guard who won’t be a part of Penn State’s future plans is 6-foot-2 Graham Woodward, who has elected to transfer. First reported by Alex Kline of The Recruit Scoop, Woodward’s decision was announced officially by the program Wednesday afternoon.
Woodward will have three years of eligibility remaining, beginning with the 2015-16 season.
“Graham has made the decision to continue his playing career elsewhere,” Chambers said in the release. “He is a tough, hard-working player and a great young man; we wish him the best moving forward.”
Woodward made much of his impact offensively from beyond the arc, as 23 of the 30 field goals he made were three-pointers. A 39.0% shooter from three, Woodward averaged 2.8 points and 0.9 rebounds in 12.5 minutes of action per game. And it’s likely that similar minutes would have been tough to come by in 2014-15.
If Newbill, Johnson and Thorpe all return (as expected) Penn State will be up to five perimeter options, with Shep Garner and Isaiah Washington having signed National Letters of Intent. And Woodward’s decision frees up a scholarship for the Nittany Lions, should Chambers and the coaching staff look to add another player.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)