Apr 10, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
After catching just one pass in his first two seasons as a professional football player, Denver Broncos tight end Julius Thomas turned into an important weapon for Peyton Manning in 2013. Thomas, who played college basketball (and football) at Portland State, caught 65 passes for 788 yards and 12 touchdowns on a team that reached the Super Bowl.
What does Thomas’ success have to do with college basketball, especially when considering the fact that he’s been out of college for three years? According to a tweet from Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald, the Broncos are taking a look at another player whose college playing experience came on the basketball court as opposed to the gridiron.
That player is former Miami forward Erik Swoope, who last month completed his four-year playing career at the ACC school. The Broncos worked out Swoope on the Miami campus Thursday according to Navarro.
Swoope was listed as being 6-foot-6, 220 pounds on Miami’s roster this season. With the Hurricanes lacking depth due to the graduation of five seniors and the early departure of Shane Larkin after reaching the Sweet 16 in 2013, Swoope played 18.4 minutes per game in 2013-14 and averaged 5.0 points and 2.7 rebounds.
If Swoope were to continue on the “hoops to football” path and enjoy success he wouldn’t be the first Hurricane to do so. Jimmy Graham made the transition but it should be noted that like Thomas, Graham played a season in college after playing four years of college basketball at Miami.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)