Apr 10, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
When high-scoring guard Joseph Young announced his decision to return to Oregon for his senior season, the Ducks found themselves one over the NCAA limit of 13 scholarships. That’s no longer an issue, as guard A.J. Lapray has decided to transfer to Pepperdine, getting Oregon back to the 13 scholarship limit.
Lapray, a native of Salem, Oregon, announced the decision via his Twitter account.
Lapray played in just two games as a freshman, with a hip flexor injury being a major factor in the lack of game action. Obviously Oregon was deep on the perimeter as well, and with Casey Benson and JaQuan Lyle joining the program as freshmen and Providence transfer Brandon Austin also on board there will be a lot of competition for playing time in 2014-15.
In addition to Young, Oregon returns Dominic Artis and Damyean Dotson on the perimeter.
As for Pepperdine, Lapray joins a program that’s relatively young on the perimeter. Three players, including WCC All-Freshman Team selection Jeremy Major (9.1 ppg, 4.5 apg), will be sophomores next season with starter Malcolm Brooks (10.3 ppg) being the lone rising senior in the rotation.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 4
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)