Apr 10, 2014, 8:04 PM EST
When high-scoring guard Joseph Young announced his decision to return to Oregon for his senior season, the Ducks found themselves one over the NCAA limit of 13 scholarships. That’s no longer an issue, as guard A.J. Lapray has decided to transfer to Pepperdine, getting Oregon back to the 13 scholarship limit.
Lapray, a native of Salem, Oregon, announced the decision via his Twitter account.
Lapray played in just two games as a freshman, with a hip flexor injury being a major factor in the lack of game action. Obviously Oregon was deep on the perimeter as well, and with Casey Benson and JaQuan Lyle joining the program as freshmen and Providence transfer Brandon Austin also on board there will be a lot of competition for playing time in 2014-15.
In addition to Young, Oregon returns Dominic Artis and Damyean Dotson on the perimeter.
As for Pepperdine, Lapray joins a program that’s relatively young on the perimeter. Three players, including WCC All-Freshman Team selection Jeremy Major (9.1 ppg, 4.5 apg), will be sophomores next season with starter Malcolm Brooks (10.3 ppg) being the lone rising senior in the rotation.
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)