Apr 10, 2014, 7:04 PM EST
After leading IPFW to a 25-win season and a second-place finish in the Summit League, head coach Tony Jasick made the decision to leave the school in order to take over Jacksonville program. In need of a new head coach IPFW didn’t look far for its replacement, with the school officially promoting assistant Jon Coffman on Thursday.
Coffman, who spent three seasons on the IPFW staff prior to his promotion, has been a Division I assistant at both Colgate and the College of Charleston. In his first press conference as head coach Coffman thanked his former boss for helping him reach the position he’s in today.
“I am extremely grateful for the opportunity that Tony gave me, and I would not be where I am today without him being both an incredible mentor and friend,” Coffman said according to the school release. “I am unbelievably proud of what we accomplished as a program over the past three years and am excited to see his future success at Jacksonville University.”
IPFW loses leading scorer Luis Jacobo (15.2 ppg, 4.8 rpg) and forward Michael Kibiloski (7.2, 2.4) from the winningest team in school history, but forwards Steve Forbes, Joe Edwards and Joe Reed all have eligibility remaining. In just over 21 minutes of action per game, Forbes averaged 12.1 points and a team-best 5.3 rebounds per game.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)