Apr 10, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
After leading IPFW to a 25-win season and a second-place finish in the Summit League, head coach Tony Jasick made the decision to leave the school in order to take over Jacksonville program. In need of a new head coach IPFW didn’t look far for its replacement, with the school officially promoting assistant Jon Coffman on Thursday.
Coffman, who spent three seasons on the IPFW staff prior to his promotion, has been a Division I assistant at both Colgate and the College of Charleston. In his first press conference as head coach Coffman thanked his former boss for helping him reach the position he’s in today.
“I am extremely grateful for the opportunity that Tony gave me, and I would not be where I am today without him being both an incredible mentor and friend,” Coffman said according to the school release. “I am unbelievably proud of what we accomplished as a program over the past three years and am excited to see his future success at Jacksonville University.”
IPFW loses leading scorer Luis Jacobo (15.2 ppg, 4.8 rpg) and forward Michael Kibiloski (7.2, 2.4) from the winningest team in school history, but forwards Steve Forbes, Joe Edwards and Joe Reed all have eligibility remaining. In just over 21 minutes of action per game, Forbes averaged 12.1 points and a team-best 5.3 rebounds per game.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (75)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)