Apr 10, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
After leading IPFW to a 25-win season and a second-place finish in the Summit League, head coach Tony Jasick made the decision to leave the school in order to take over Jacksonville program. In need of a new head coach IPFW didn’t look far for its replacement, with the school officially promoting assistant Jon Coffman on Thursday.
Coffman, who spent three seasons on the IPFW staff prior to his promotion, has been a Division I assistant at both Colgate and the College of Charleston. In his first press conference as head coach Coffman thanked his former boss for helping him reach the position he’s in today.
“I am extremely grateful for the opportunity that Tony gave me, and I would not be where I am today without him being both an incredible mentor and friend,” Coffman said according to the school release. “I am unbelievably proud of what we accomplished as a program over the past three years and am excited to see his future success at Jacksonville University.”
IPFW loses leading scorer Luis Jacobo (15.2 ppg, 4.8 rpg) and forward Michael Kibiloski (7.2, 2.4) from the winningest team in school history, but forwards Steve Forbes, Joe Edwards and Joe Reed all have eligibility remaining. In just over 21 minutes of action per game, Forbes averaged 12.1 points and a team-best 5.3 rebounds per game.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 26
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)