Apr 10, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
There was a major push last offseason to make the on-court product during a college basketball game more palatable. The game had turned into a glorified rugby match, the physicality draining the life — and scoring — out of college hoops.
That changed this season, as the new rules that were implemented changed how referees would be calling the game. They took away hand-checking, they limited how much a player could be bumped on a cut through the lane and, once referees and players fell into a rhythm, it helped to increase the scoring and made the game more entertaining to watch.
This year there will be a number of rules changes up for vote as well, according to Pat Forde of Yahoo Sports:
- Reducing the number of timeouts. The biggest issue with college hoops is that the end of a close game takes forever, between the fouls, the timeouts given when a player fouls out and the fact that the teams get some many timeouts per game.
- The reduction of the shot clock to 30, or even 24, seconds. I’d be in favor of 30 seconds, but 24 is too short. This isn’t the NBA, you need to allow the teams a chance to run a set otherwise college hoops will devolve into nothing but one-on-one isolations from players that aren’t as good as their NBA counterparts.
- Eliminating live-ball timeouts, which is a rule that FIBA has in place. The way the current rules are set up, if the defense gets a trap, an offensive player — or his coach — can call timeout to save possession. In the international game, timeouts can only be called when the ball is dead.
- Changing the 10-second rule so that a team has ten seconds total to cross half court. Calling a timeout in the back court currently refreshes the clock.
There are a few other rules on the table — widening the lane, using the NBA’s continuation rule, no scoring on charges — but those four are the big four that have been complained about the most.
May 29, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Khalid El-Amin’s son has game.
May 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Will Iowa State’s lone 2015 high school commit stay put if Fred Hoiberg leaves?
May 29, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Oklahoma State badly needed another big man and might have found some help.
May 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Duke is getting another Parade National Player of the Year.
May 29, 2015, 4:03 PM EDT
With Fred Hoiberg being tabbed the frontrunner for the Bulls job, Hornacek’s name has come up as a possible replacement in Ames.
May 29, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
Jones will undergo surgery June 1 in Baltimore.
May 29, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
The last time these two teams met at a neutral site was back in 1992.
May 29, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
Kansas also has plans to host former Providence center Paschal Chukwu in early June.
May 29, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Dai-Jon Parker played this past season at the University of Indianapolis.
May 28, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Fred Hoiberg’s status has impacted recruiting in multiple cases for Iowa State this spring.
May 28, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Big 12 tournaments held at the Sprint Center have averaged more than 18,000 fans per session.
May 28, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT
Each team will have three “permanent” opponents they’re guaranteed to play twice every season.
May 28, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Video surfaced showing that Alie-Cox wasn’t involved in the incident, contradicting a woman’s claim that he punched her in the face.
May 28, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
UConn’s now added three transfers to the program this spring, two of whom will be eligible immediately as graduate students.
May 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Foster led Clemson to their only Elite 8 appearance in program history.
May 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Paige went to high school an hour from UNI’s campus.
May 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Iowa State fans shouldn’t freak out too much.
May 28, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Dellavedova was a star with the Gaels before he became this year’s NBA Playoff star.
May 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Byers created the term “student-athlete” and first sold TV rights for NCAA broadcasts, but later wrote a book blasting the NCAA for exploiting athletes.
May 28, 2015, 9:52 AM EDT
This is a step in the right direction by the Big 12.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)