Apr 10, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
There was a major push last offseason to make the on-court product during a college basketball game more palatable. The game had turned into a glorified rugby match, the physicality draining the life — and scoring — out of college hoops.
That changed this season, as the new rules that were implemented changed how referees would be calling the game. They took away hand-checking, they limited how much a player could be bumped on a cut through the lane and, once referees and players fell into a rhythm, it helped to increase the scoring and made the game more entertaining to watch.
This year there will be a number of rules changes up for vote as well, according to Pat Forde of Yahoo Sports:
- Reducing the number of timeouts. The biggest issue with college hoops is that the end of a close game takes forever, between the fouls, the timeouts given when a player fouls out and the fact that the teams get some many timeouts per game.
- The reduction of the shot clock to 30, or even 24, seconds. I’d be in favor of 30 seconds, but 24 is too short. This isn’t the NBA, you need to allow the teams a chance to run a set otherwise college hoops will devolve into nothing but one-on-one isolations from players that aren’t as good as their NBA counterparts.
- Eliminating live-ball timeouts, which is a rule that FIBA has in place. The way the current rules are set up, if the defense gets a trap, an offensive player — or his coach — can call timeout to save possession. In the international game, timeouts can only be called when the ball is dead.
- Changing the 10-second rule so that a team has ten seconds total to cross half court. Calling a timeout in the back court currently refreshes the clock.
There are a few other rules on the table — widening the lane, using the NBA’s continuation rule, no scoring on charges — but those four are the big four that have been complained about the most.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Dambrot is the head coach at Akron.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Westbrook wasn’t a top 25 prospect in high school. He was a top three player in the NBA last year.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
It’s the first preseason all-american team that we’ve seen this summer.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:41 AM EDT
Zeller handed out a warning. Michael McRobbie was a bit more upset.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:38 PM EDT
Frank Jackson will take an official visit to one of the four schools this weekend.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:31 PM EDT
Bryn Forbes scored 18 points to lead a balanced scoring attack for the Spartans.
Aug 26, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
Michael McRobbie’s address came two days after Emmitt Holt and Thomas Bryant were cited for illegal possession of alcohol.
Aug 26, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT
Seton Hall AD said his coaches haven’t had to deal with negative recruiting re: cost of attendance stipends, but he’s ready to act if so.
Aug 26, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
Lauren Hill raised more than $1.8 million for pediatric cancer research before she passed away.
Aug 26, 2015, 12:06 PM EDT
Get a look at potential No. 1 pick Ben Simmons.
Aug 26, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
He’s still the second-highest paid Pitino in the coaching world.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:51 AM EDT
A battle between Kentucky and Kansas headlines this event.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
There’s really nothing more important than that for a 10-year old boy.
Aug 25, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Class of 2016 point guard Jaylen Fisher had some great highlights this summer.
Aug 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Jakob Poeltl is a potential top-10 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, but he has to improve his 44 percent free-throw shooting.
Aug 25, 2015, 8:20 PM EDT
Kansas State is getting an experienced forward back in its rotation.
Aug 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
St. John’s has some tough games during its first non-conference schedule under Chris Mullin.
Aug 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Cincinnati could soon be getting a much-needed upgrade to Fifth Third Arena.
Aug 25, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
L’ville isn’t likely to face a tough non-conference schedule, but was it done by design to help a transitioning squad?
Aug 25, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Bill Grier spent eight years as head coach at San Diego.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Throwback Thursday: Which Jim Calhoun rant was the best Jim Calhoun rant? (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)