Apr 10, 2014, 10:19 PM EST
After six seasons at Western Illinois, head coach Jim Molinari has decided to resign according to a release from the school. During his time at the Summit League school Molinari won 79 games, with 40 of those wins coming in the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons. In both of those years the Leathernecks played in the postseason, making appearances in the CBI on both occasions.
“Having known Coach Molinari for more than 20 years and watched his incredible basketball career and accomplishments he had at Western Illinois University, we wish him continued success and the best of luck,” Western Illinois AD Tommy Bell said in the release. “We thank him for his service to our institution. He will be missed.”
Associate head coach Wade Hokenson will serve as acting head coach. And according to a report from Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com, Molinari is under consideration for the open spot on Tim Miles’ staff at Nebraska. Miles is short an assistant following the departure of Craig Smith, who was hired as the new head coach at South Dakota in late March.
Western Illinois finished the 2013-14 season with a record of ten wins and 20 losses, and they lose forward Adam Link (9.2 ppg, 4.7 rpg) and center Michael Ochereobia (8.9, 5.4, 1.5 bpg) as both players were seniors. However guards Garret Covington (14.6, 4.7) and Jabari Sandifer (9.0, 3.1 apg) were both freshmen, with the former earning Summit League Newcomer of the Year honors.
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)