Apr 11, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
One day after it was announced that Western Illinois head coach Jim Molinari was stepping down, Nebraska has officially hired him as an assistant on Tim Miles’ staff. Molinari, who has won 300 games as a head coach, fills the position left vacant by Craig Smith. Smith is now the head coach at South Dakota.
“Today is a great day for Husker Hoops,” Miles said in the release announcing the move. “Adding Coach Molinari to our staff can help elevate us to the next level. He’s a great coach and a better person. We are very fortunate he’s joining us. He brings a wealth of coaching and recruiting experience. He’s coached in the Final Four as an assistant.
“He’s taken his own team to the NCAA Tournament at two different universities, and he’s recruited NBA players. Jim has had every conceivable experience a coach can have, and he will have a major impact on our program.”
This past season Nebraska made its first NCAA tournament appearance since 1998, falling to Baylor in the Round of 64. With most of the key contributors from that team due back on campus next season, led by All-Big Ten selection Terran Petteway, Nebraska will be expected to make a return trip to the Big Dance in 2014-15.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)