Apr 11, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
After leading his alma mater to 28 wins and its first Big 12 tournament title since 2000, Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg has been rewarded with a $600,000 raise as reported by the school. Hoiberg, whose team also made the program’s first Sweet 16 appearance since 2000, will now receive an annual salary of $2.2 million with the new deal going into effect on May 1. With Hoiberg’s original deal averaging $2 million per year, that average is now up to $2.6 million per year.
“We are pleased to come to terms on a revised contact with Coach Hoiberg and his agent so quickly,” Iowa State AD Jamie Pollard said in the release. “We hope our commitment to him will keep him at Iowa State University for the rest of his career.”
There were no other changes to Hoiberg’s contract, which is of particular interest to those who may be concerned that at some point an NBA franchise could come calling. According to Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune, Hoiberg would have to pay the school $500,000 if he were to leave Iowa State for a head coaching job in the NBA. Hoiberg’s buyout to move to another school, by comparison, is $2 million.
Hoiberg and his staff lose DeAndre Kane and Melvin Ejim from this year’s team, which fell to eventual national champion UConn in the Sweet 16. But they do return forwards Georges Niang and Dustin Hogue, along with backcourt contributors such as Monte Morris, Naz Long and Matt Thomas.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Get caught up on all of Friday’s NCAA tournament action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:35 AM EDT
ACC teams went 2-1 Friday night, with Louisville’s win over NC State being the league’s lone defeat.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:27 AM EDT
The schedule for Sunday’s Elite 8 games.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
Second straight Elite 8 appearance for Tom Izzo and Co.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
No. 1 Duke advanced to the Elite 8 with a win in the South Regional over No. 5 Utah.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
This is a pretty nice move from Amile Jefferson.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
Wardle spent five seasons as coach at Green Bay.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT
Will play the winner of Michigan State-Oklahoma.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:39 PM EDT
Caleb Martin’s only two points of the game.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:26 PM EDT
Gonzaga defeated UCLA to advance to the Elite 8 for the first time under head coach Mark Few.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:22 PM EDT
Andy Toole has been with Robert Morris for five seasons.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:53 PM EDT
Nice big man-to-big man pass.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:32 PM EDT
Class of 2015 five-star center Diamond Stone committed during a surprise announcement on Friday night.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
UNLV freshman Rashad Vaughn addresses NBA Draft rumors.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:28 PM EDT
One of three assists in the first half for Cat Barber.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Aaron Harrison left Thursday night’s game briefly with a finger injury.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
For the second time this month, the Indiana athletic director backed the school’s head coach.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Arizona hasn’t been to the Final Four since 2001, but all involved are focused on Wisconsin and not that streak.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Frazier is projected as a second round pick.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-7 forward has two years of eligibility left.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)