Apr 11, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
A couple days ago the status of Marshall point guard Kareem Canty was unknown with regards to his future with the program. While it was known that he wanted out, reports that he’d filed a request to be released from his scholarship were countered by Marshall SID Andrew Piper telling NBC Sports’ Matthew Giles that Canty had not done so.
Three days later, Canty has been released from his scholarship by a three-member appeal committee according to Dave Wilson of the Metro News.
But in light of this news here’s the question that needs to be answered: why would Canty need to sit in front of an appeals board in order to receive his release if, according to the SID, he hadn’t asked for one to begin with? Whether or not an answer to that question will be given is anyone’s guess.
Moving on to the basketball side of this move, Canty averaged 16.3 points and 5.5 assists per game for the Thundering Herd in 2013-14. For his efforts Canty, a native of Harlem, N.Y., was named third team All-Conference USA and also was a member of the league’s All-Freshman Team.
According to Wilson’s report Canty will have two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2014-15 campaign, with the point guard being forced to sit out the 2012-13 season for academic reasons.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)