Apr 11, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
A couple days ago the status of Marshall point guard Kareem Canty was unknown with regards to his future with the program. While it was known that he wanted out, reports that he’d filed a request to be released from his scholarship were countered by Marshall SID Andrew Piper telling NBC Sports’ Matthew Giles that Canty had not done so.
Three days later, Canty has been released from his scholarship by a three-member appeal committee according to Dave Wilson of the Metro News.
But in light of this news here’s the question that needs to be answered: why would Canty need to sit in front of an appeals board in order to receive his release if, according to the SID, he hadn’t asked for one to begin with? Whether or not an answer to that question will be given is anyone’s guess.
Moving on to the basketball side of this move, Canty averaged 16.3 points and 5.5 assists per game for the Thundering Herd in 2013-14. For his efforts Canty, a native of Harlem, N.Y., was named third team All-Conference USA and also was a member of the league’s All-Freshman Team.
According to Wilson’s report Canty will have two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2014-15 campaign, with the point guard being forced to sit out the 2012-13 season for academic reasons.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)