Apr 11, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
A couple days ago the status of Marshall point guard Kareem Canty was unknown with regards to his future with the program. While it was known that he wanted out, reports that he’d filed a request to be released from his scholarship were countered by Marshall SID Andrew Piper telling NBC Sports’ Matthew Giles that Canty had not done so.
Three days later, Canty has been released from his scholarship by a three-member appeal committee according to Dave Wilson of the Metro News.
But in light of this news here’s the question that needs to be answered: why would Canty need to sit in front of an appeals board in order to receive his release if, according to the SID, he hadn’t asked for one to begin with? Whether or not an answer to that question will be given is anyone’s guess.
Moving on to the basketball side of this move, Canty averaged 16.3 points and 5.5 assists per game for the Thundering Herd in 2013-14. For his efforts Canty, a native of Harlem, N.Y., was named third team All-Conference USA and also was a member of the league’s All-Freshman Team.
According to Wilson’s report Canty will have two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2014-15 campaign, with the point guard being forced to sit out the 2012-13 season for academic reasons.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)