Apr 11, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
A couple days ago the status of Marshall point guard Kareem Canty was unknown with regards to his future with the program. While it was known that he wanted out, reports that he’d filed a request to be released from his scholarship were countered by Marshall SID Andrew Piper telling NBC Sports’ Matthew Giles that Canty had not done so.
Three days later, Canty has been released from his scholarship by a three-member appeal committee according to Dave Wilson of the Metro News.
But in light of this news here’s the question that needs to be answered: why would Canty need to sit in front of an appeals board in order to receive his release if, according to the SID, he hadn’t asked for one to begin with? Whether or not an answer to that question will be given is anyone’s guess.
Moving on to the basketball side of this move, Canty averaged 16.3 points and 5.5 assists per game for the Thundering Herd in 2013-14. For his efforts Canty, a native of Harlem, N.Y., was named third team All-Conference USA and also was a member of the league’s All-Freshman Team.
According to Wilson’s report Canty will have two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2014-15 campaign, with the point guard being forced to sit out the 2012-13 season for academic reasons.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)