Apr 11, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
A couple days ago the status of Marshall point guard Kareem Canty was unknown with regards to his future with the program. While it was known that he wanted out, reports that he’d filed a request to be released from his scholarship were countered by Marshall SID Andrew Piper telling NBC Sports’ Matthew Giles that Canty had not done so.
Three days later, Canty has been released from his scholarship by a three-member appeal committee according to Dave Wilson of the Metro News.
But in light of this news here’s the question that needs to be answered: why would Canty need to sit in front of an appeals board in order to receive his release if, according to the SID, he hadn’t asked for one to begin with? Whether or not an answer to that question will be given is anyone’s guess.
Moving on to the basketball side of this move, Canty averaged 16.3 points and 5.5 assists per game for the Thundering Herd in 2013-14. For his efforts Canty, a native of Harlem, N.Y., was named third team All-Conference USA and also was a member of the league’s All-Freshman Team.
According to Wilson’s report Canty will have two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2014-15 campaign, with the point guard being forced to sit out the 2012-13 season for academic reasons.
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)