Apr 11, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
It looks as if guard A.J. Lapray won’t be the only Oregon Duck moving on to another program this offseason.
Late Thursday night it was reported by Matt Youmans of the Las Vegas Review-Journal that sophomore power forward Ben Carter has been released from his scholarship and is expected to transfer. And according to the story Carter, who played his high school basketball at Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas, is likely to wind up at UNLV.
After missing the first nine games of the season due to an NCAA suspension regarding the sale of team-issued sneakers (fellow sophomore Dominic Artis was also suspended) Carter averaged 12.7 minutes per contest, contributing 2.5 points and 2.5 rebounds per game. The 6-foot-8 forward reached double figures just once last season, scoring 11 points in a loss at Oregon State in mid-January.
Oregon has already lost Mike Moser, Richard Amardi and Waverly Austin from its front court rotation, and Carter’s anticipated departure means more opportunities for incoming recruits Michael Chandler (junior college), Jordan Bell and Ray Kasongo. Elgin Cook, who proved to be a key contributor as the season progressed, will return next season.
Carter’s move drops Oregon to one scholarship below the limit (13), meaning that head coach Dana Altman has room to add another player to the program. As for UNLV, if Carter were to transfer there all 13 available scholarships would be filled with the forward having to sit out next season per NCAA transfer rules.
A scholarship opened up when Roscoe Smith announced his decision to turn pro, and the program is still awaiting a decision from Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year Khem Birch.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)