Apr 11, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
One team that didn’t reach the NCAA tournament but enjoyed a highly productive postseason was Siena, which won the CBI title in three games over Fresno State. With walk-on Steven Cruz being the lone senior on the roster, there’s a great amount of optimism surrounding Jimmy Patsos’ program heading into the offseason.
However two players won’t be with the team as they look to return to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2010, as it was reported by Mark Singelais of the Albany Times-Union that both guard Rich Audu and forward Marcus Hooper will be transferring to Division II programs. The move will give both players immediate eligibility in 2014-15, and while Audu’s destination is unknown Hooper will be playing at Queens College in New York.
The 6-foot-3 Audu played in just 13 games this past season, averaging four minutes per contest, and Hooper was redshirted in order to preserve his final two seasons of eligibility. Both players will have two years left to play at the college level.
Siena’s top five scorers, led by guard Rob Poole and forward Brett Bisping, will all return to campus next season. And given the fact that the Saints managed to post a winning MAAC record (11-9) in Patsos’ first season at the helm certainly bodes well for the future. Tournament champion Manhattan, regular season champ Iona and contenders Canisius and Quinnipiac all suffered key personnel losses at the end of the 2013-14 season, which could open the door for Siena next season.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)