Apr 11, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
Xavier redshirt junior forward Justin Martin, after averaging 11.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per game, has decided to transfer for his final season of college eligibility. The news was first reported by Shannon Russell of the Cincinnati Enquirer, who also noted that Martin will be granted permission to contact other schools when he completes his coursework at Xavier.
Doing so would make Martin eligible to play immediately, with the forward having redshirted during the 2010-11 season.
Martin was Xavier’s second-leading scorer this past season, meaning that the Musketeers will need to account for the loss of both he and leading scorer Semaj Christon (NBA Draft) this summer. The team is scheduled to take a summer trip to Brazil this August, which will give the remaining players (and newcomers) some extra on-court time in advance of the 2014-15 campaign.
Martin’s best offensive outing came in a home win over DePaul, as he scored 22 points. And in a key late-season win over Creighton in Cincinnati, Martin accounted for 19 points and 16 rebounds.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)