Apr 11, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
Xavier redshirt junior forward Justin Martin, after averaging 11.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per game, has decided to transfer for his final season of college eligibility. The news was first reported by Shannon Russell of the Cincinnati Enquirer, who also noted that Martin will be granted permission to contact other schools when he completes his coursework at Xavier.
Doing so would make Martin eligible to play immediately, with the forward having redshirted during the 2010-11 season.
Martin was Xavier’s second-leading scorer this past season, meaning that the Musketeers will need to account for the loss of both he and leading scorer Semaj Christon (NBA Draft) this summer. The team is scheduled to take a summer trip to Brazil this August, which will give the remaining players (and newcomers) some extra on-court time in advance of the 2014-15 campaign.
Martin’s best offensive outing came in a home win over DePaul, as he scored 22 points. And in a key late-season win over Creighton in Cincinnati, Martin accounted for 19 points and 16 rebounds.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)