Apr 11, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
Xavier redshirt junior forward Justin Martin, after averaging 11.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per game, has decided to transfer for his final season of college eligibility. The news was first reported by Shannon Russell of the Cincinnati Enquirer, who also noted that Martin will be granted permission to contact other schools when he completes his coursework at Xavier.
Doing so would make Martin eligible to play immediately, with the forward having redshirted during the 2010-11 season.
Martin was Xavier’s second-leading scorer this past season, meaning that the Musketeers will need to account for the loss of both he and leading scorer Semaj Christon (NBA Draft) this summer. The team is scheduled to take a summer trip to Brazil this August, which will give the remaining players (and newcomers) some extra on-court time in advance of the 2014-15 campaign.
Martin’s best offensive outing came in a home win over DePaul, as he scored 22 points. And in a key late-season win over Creighton in Cincinnati, Martin accounted for 19 points and 16 rebounds.
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)