Apr 11, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
Xavier redshirt junior forward Justin Martin, after averaging 11.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per game, has decided to transfer for his final season of college eligibility. The news was first reported by Shannon Russell of the Cincinnati Enquirer, who also noted that Martin will be granted permission to contact other schools when he completes his coursework at Xavier.
Doing so would make Martin eligible to play immediately, with the forward having redshirted during the 2010-11 season.
Martin was Xavier’s second-leading scorer this past season, meaning that the Musketeers will need to account for the loss of both he and leading scorer Semaj Christon (NBA Draft) this summer. The team is scheduled to take a summer trip to Brazil this August, which will give the remaining players (and newcomers) some extra on-court time in advance of the 2014-15 campaign.
Martin’s best offensive outing came in a home win over DePaul, as he scored 22 points. And in a key late-season win over Creighton in Cincinnati, Martin accounted for 19 points and 16 rebounds.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)