Apr 11, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
Xavier redshirt junior forward Justin Martin, after averaging 11.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per game, has decided to transfer for his final season of college eligibility. The news was first reported by Shannon Russell of the Cincinnati Enquirer, who also noted that Martin will be granted permission to contact other schools when he completes his coursework at Xavier.
Doing so would make Martin eligible to play immediately, with the forward having redshirted during the 2010-11 season.
Martin was Xavier’s second-leading scorer this past season, meaning that the Musketeers will need to account for the loss of both he and leading scorer Semaj Christon (NBA Draft) this summer. The team is scheduled to take a summer trip to Brazil this August, which will give the remaining players (and newcomers) some extra on-court time in advance of the 2014-15 campaign.
Martin’s best offensive outing came in a home win over DePaul, as he scored 22 points. And in a key late-season win over Creighton in Cincinnati, Martin accounted for 19 points and 16 rebounds.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)