Apr 12, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
After losing the last two editions of the Nike Hoop Summit, the United States select team entered Saturday’s game at the Moda Center in Portland looking to end that dubious streak. Thanks in part to the play of three players who will all don Duke uniforms next season the United States was able to do so, beating the World Team 84-73.
Justise Winslow scored 16 points and grabbed six rebounds off the bench, with fellow Blue Devil signees Tyus Jones (13 points, six assists and five steals) and Jahlil Okafor (14 points, ten rebounds) also scoring in double figures. In total four United States players scored in double figures, with Kansas signee Kelly Oubre scoring 14 points in what was a balanced effort for the team coached by DeMatha High School (Hyattsville, Md.) head coach Mike Jones.
For the World Team two guards led the way offensively, with SMU signee Emmanuel Mudiay (representing the Democratic Republic of Congo) scoring 20 points and Jamal Murray (Canada) adding ten to go along with five assists. But with Kentucky signees Karl Towns Jr. (six points, eight rebounds) and Trey Lyles (nine points, 11 rebounds) in foul trouble for much of the night, Roy Rana’s team lacked the balance they managed to display in the last two editions of this game.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)