Apr 12, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
With Jeff Bzdelik being relieved of his duties as head coach, one question raised by some was what would happen to former Wake Forest great and assistant coach Randolph Childress. While assistants from the prior regime rarely get to hang around as a member of the new staff, Childress’ status as one of the school’s all-time greats put him in a position different than that of most coaches in that situation.
On Saturday it was announced that Childress will be a member of Manning’s coaching staff, hiring him as an assistant coach. Not only does the retention of Childress give Manning a connection to the past of Wake Forest basketball, it also gives him someone very familiar with the current roster and what changes need to be made.
“I am thrilled to have Randolph as a member of my staff at Wake Forest,” Manning said in the release. “I thought it was important to have someone who is familiar with the University, the players on the team and our recruiting areas.
“Randolph is one of the best and most beloved players in the history of Wake Forest basketball. His connection to Wake Forest, from current players, to former players, to alumni and fans, is something I feel is valuable to have on my staff. I have gotten to know Randolph, and he is someone who I think is going to be a star in the coaching profession.”
Wake Forest loses Coron Williams and Travis McKie from this season’s team, but there’s plenty of experience due back in Winston-Salem led by guard Codi Miller-McIntyre.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)