Apr 12, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
With Jeff Bzdelik being relieved of his duties as head coach, one question raised by some was what would happen to former Wake Forest great and assistant coach Randolph Childress. While assistants from the prior regime rarely get to hang around as a member of the new staff, Childress’ status as one of the school’s all-time greats put him in a position different than that of most coaches in that situation.
On Saturday it was announced that Childress will be a member of Manning’s coaching staff, hiring him as an assistant coach. Not only does the retention of Childress give Manning a connection to the past of Wake Forest basketball, it also gives him someone very familiar with the current roster and what changes need to be made.
“I am thrilled to have Randolph as a member of my staff at Wake Forest,” Manning said in the release. “I thought it was important to have someone who is familiar with the University, the players on the team and our recruiting areas.
“Randolph is one of the best and most beloved players in the history of Wake Forest basketball. His connection to Wake Forest, from current players, to former players, to alumni and fans, is something I feel is valuable to have on my staff. I have gotten to know Randolph, and he is someone who I think is going to be a star in the coaching profession.”
Wake Forest loses Coron Williams and Travis McKie from this season’s team, but there’s plenty of experience due back in Winston-Salem led by guard Codi Miller-McIntyre.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)