Apr 12, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
With Jeff Bzdelik being relieved of his duties as head coach, one question raised by some was what would happen to former Wake Forest great and assistant coach Randolph Childress. While assistants from the prior regime rarely get to hang around as a member of the new staff, Childress’ status as one of the school’s all-time greats put him in a position different than that of most coaches in that situation.
On Saturday it was announced that Childress will be a member of Manning’s coaching staff, hiring him as an assistant coach. Not only does the retention of Childress give Manning a connection to the past of Wake Forest basketball, it also gives him someone very familiar with the current roster and what changes need to be made.
“I am thrilled to have Randolph as a member of my staff at Wake Forest,” Manning said in the release. “I thought it was important to have someone who is familiar with the University, the players on the team and our recruiting areas.
“Randolph is one of the best and most beloved players in the history of Wake Forest basketball. His connection to Wake Forest, from current players, to former players, to alumni and fans, is something I feel is valuable to have on my staff. I have gotten to know Randolph, and he is someone who I think is going to be a star in the coaching profession.”
Wake Forest loses Coron Williams and Travis McKie from this season’s team, but there’s plenty of experience due back in Winston-Salem led by guard Codi Miller-McIntyre.
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Ben Howland to become the next Mississippi State head coach 6
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- You Make The Call: Did No. 11 UCLA beat No. 6 SMU on a goaltend or a blown call? (VIDEO) (32)
- Updated tournament records: Five ACC, three Pac-12 teams headed to Sweet 16 (22)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (19)