Apr 12, 2014, 8:50 PM EST
With Jeff Bzdelik being relieved of his duties as head coach, one question raised by some was what would happen to former Wake Forest great and assistant coach Randolph Childress. While assistants from the prior regime rarely get to hang around as a member of the new staff, Childress’ status as one of the school’s all-time greats put him in a position different than that of most coaches in that situation.
On Saturday it was announced that Childress will be a member of Manning’s coaching staff, hiring him as an assistant coach. Not only does the retention of Childress give Manning a connection to the past of Wake Forest basketball, it also gives him someone very familiar with the current roster and what changes need to be made.
“I am thrilled to have Randolph as a member of my staff at Wake Forest,” Manning said in the release. “I thought it was important to have someone who is familiar with the University, the players on the team and our recruiting areas.
“Randolph is one of the best and most beloved players in the history of Wake Forest basketball. His connection to Wake Forest, from current players, to former players, to alumni and fans, is something I feel is valuable to have on my staff. I have gotten to know Randolph, and he is someone who I think is going to be a star in the coaching profession.”
Wake Forest loses Coron Williams and Travis McKie from this season’s team, but there’s plenty of experience due back in Winston-Salem led by guard Codi Miller-McIntyre.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)