Apr 12, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
In three seasons at Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy has put together a record of 50 wins and 49 losses, with the program yet to reach the NCAA tournament under his watch. With players such as Alex Caruso, Jamal Jones and Kourtney Roberson all expected back next season, the hope in College Station is that Texas A&M will play its way into a postseason tournament of higher prestige than the CBI.
Texas A&M will attempt to do so with a coaching staff that will look much different than the one that sat on the bench in 2013-14, with Kennedy parting ways with top assistant Glynn Cyprien and John Reese this offseason. Reese’s departure came a couple months after his son, J-Mychal, was dismissed from the program for a violation of team rules.
As for Cyprien, Kennedy discussed the matter with Brett Zwenerman of the San Antonio Express-News, noting that the decision was one he made on his own.
“It was in the best interest of our program to make changes that needed to be made,” said Kennedy, who’s yet to make the NCAA or NIT postseasons over three years at A&M. “Sometimes it’s best for both parties to go their different ways. We’ve got to get better and we needed to make some changes to get better as a program.”
Kyle Keller and Mitch Cole, who according to the story went from special assistant to the head coach to an assistant coaching role following the departure of Reese, are the current assistants on Kennedy’s staff.
However while it will be interesting to see who fills the void left by Cyprien, what will be more important for the future of the program is that they improve their standing within the SEC. Texas A&M has won 18 games in consecutive seasons but they’ve got just one postseason berth, this season’s CBI, to show for it.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)