Apr 12, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
In three seasons at Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy has put together a record of 50 wins and 49 losses, with the program yet to reach the NCAA tournament under his watch. With players such as Alex Caruso, Jamal Jones and Kourtney Roberson all expected back next season, the hope in College Station is that Texas A&M will play its way into a postseason tournament of higher prestige than the CBI.
Texas A&M will attempt to do so with a coaching staff that will look much different than the one that sat on the bench in 2013-14, with Kennedy parting ways with top assistant Glynn Cyprien and John Reese this offseason. Reese’s departure came a couple months after his son, J-Mychal, was dismissed from the program for a violation of team rules.
As for Cyprien, Kennedy discussed the matter with Brett Zwenerman of the San Antonio Express-News, noting that the decision was one he made on his own.
“It was in the best interest of our program to make changes that needed to be made,” said Kennedy, who’s yet to make the NCAA or NIT postseasons over three years at A&M. “Sometimes it’s best for both parties to go their different ways. We’ve got to get better and we needed to make some changes to get better as a program.”
Kyle Keller and Mitch Cole, who according to the story went from special assistant to the head coach to an assistant coaching role following the departure of Reese, are the current assistants on Kennedy’s staff.
However while it will be interesting to see who fills the void left by Cyprien, what will be more important for the future of the program is that they improve their standing within the SEC. Texas A&M has won 18 games in consecutive seasons but they’ve got just one postseason berth, this season’s CBI, to show for it.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)