Apr 12, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
At the conclusion of the 2013-14 season four Utah State players, including starting forward Kyle Davis, announced their intentions to transfer to new schools. Saturday it was reported that two have found new homes, with 6-foot-6 forward Danny Berger and 6-foot-10 center Jordan Stone both headed to Division II BYU-Hawaii. The news was reported by Kris Henry of the Mail-Trubune.
Berger’s career has been an eventful one to say the least, with a heart issue forcing the wing to miss most of the 2012-13 season. Berger collapsed during a practice in December of 2012, and he was cleared to return to the court in September 2013. Berger played in 28 of Utah State’s 32 games this season, averaging 3.2 points and 1.9 rebounds in just under 12 minutes of action per game.
And in Henry’s story, Berger ruled out a lack of playing time as the reason why he decided to leave Utah State:
“That’s not really the issue,” he said of the playing time. “I’m just looking for a better opportunity and this experience presented itself.”
“It was a long up-and-down year (at Utah State) and I just feel like I can reach my potential at another place,” Berger added. “I’m not going to say everything I was thinking when I came to my decision, I just think there’s opportunities for me as a basketball player by transferring to BYU-Hawaii and it will help me out for the future.”
As for Stone he averaged 2.7 points and 2.8 rebounds in 11.9 minutes of action per game, and both players will be eligible to play immediately since they’re dropping from the Division I to Division II level. Berger has one season of eligibility remaining, with Stone having two after redshirting as a freshman (2011-12).
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 1
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)