Apr 12, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
At the conclusion of the 2013-14 season four Utah State players, including starting forward Kyle Davis, announced their intentions to transfer to new schools. Saturday it was reported that two have found new homes, with 6-foot-6 forward Danny Berger and 6-foot-10 center Jordan Stone both headed to Division II BYU-Hawaii. The news was reported by Kris Henry of the Mail-Trubune.
Berger’s career has been an eventful one to say the least, with a heart issue forcing the wing to miss most of the 2012-13 season. Berger collapsed during a practice in December of 2012, and he was cleared to return to the court in September 2013. Berger played in 28 of Utah State’s 32 games this season, averaging 3.2 points and 1.9 rebounds in just under 12 minutes of action per game.
And in Henry’s story, Berger ruled out a lack of playing time as the reason why he decided to leave Utah State:
“That’s not really the issue,” he said of the playing time. “I’m just looking for a better opportunity and this experience presented itself.”
“It was a long up-and-down year (at Utah State) and I just feel like I can reach my potential at another place,” Berger added. “I’m not going to say everything I was thinking when I came to my decision, I just think there’s opportunities for me as a basketball player by transferring to BYU-Hawaii and it will help me out for the future.”
As for Stone he averaged 2.7 points and 2.8 rebounds in 11.9 minutes of action per game, and both players will be eligible to play immediately since they’re dropping from the Division I to Division II level. Berger has one season of eligibility remaining, with Stone having two after redshirting as a freshman (2011-12).
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)