Apr 13, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Sophomore guard Adonis Filer has decided to leave Clemson, the school announced on Sunday evening.
The 6-foot-2 Filer averaged 3.9 points, 1.3 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game for the Tigers, who reached the NIT semifinals this season. Those numbers were down from his freshman season averages of 6.3 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game in 2012-2013.
“I learned a lot in Coach [Brad] Brownell’s system,” Filer said in a statement released by the school. “He taught me how to be a better player. I will miss my teammates; we grew to be friends and are like brothers. I wish them nothing but success next season and beyond.”
The departure of Filer helps solve a scholarship dilemma for the program, leaving one available for leading scorer K.J. McDaniels, who is projected as a first round pick according to DraftExpress.com’s latest mock draft. While the ACC Defensive Player of the Year weighs his options, Brownell will return several important pieces, such as Rod Hall and Damarcus Harrison, from this season’s 23-13 (10-8 ACC) team.
Filer was a three-star recruit coming out of Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) in 2012, committed to Clemson over offers from Baylor and Oregon State. He will sit out the upcoming season and have two years of eligibility remaining.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)