Apr 13, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Sophomore guard Adonis Filer has decided to leave Clemson, the school announced on Sunday evening.
The 6-foot-2 Filer averaged 3.9 points, 1.3 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game for the Tigers, who reached the NIT semifinals this season. Those numbers were down from his freshman season averages of 6.3 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game in 2012-2013.
“I learned a lot in Coach [Brad] Brownell’s system,” Filer said in a statement released by the school. “He taught me how to be a better player. I will miss my teammates; we grew to be friends and are like brothers. I wish them nothing but success next season and beyond.”
The departure of Filer helps solve a scholarship dilemma for the program, leaving one available for leading scorer K.J. McDaniels, who is projected as a first round pick according to DraftExpress.com’s latest mock draft. While the ACC Defensive Player of the Year weighs his options, Brownell will return several important pieces, such as Rod Hall and Damarcus Harrison, from this season’s 23-13 (10-8 ACC) team.
Filer was a three-star recruit coming out of Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) in 2012, committed to Clemson over offers from Baylor and Oregon State. He will sit out the upcoming season and have two years of eligibility remaining.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (30)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)