Apr 13, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Sophomore guard Adonis Filer has decided to leave Clemson, the school announced on Sunday evening.
The 6-foot-2 Filer averaged 3.9 points, 1.3 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game for the Tigers, who reached the NIT semifinals this season. Those numbers were down from his freshman season averages of 6.3 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game in 2012-2013.
“I learned a lot in Coach [Brad] Brownell’s system,” Filer said in a statement released by the school. “He taught me how to be a better player. I will miss my teammates; we grew to be friends and are like brothers. I wish them nothing but success next season and beyond.”
The departure of Filer helps solve a scholarship dilemma for the program, leaving one available for leading scorer K.J. McDaniels, who is projected as a first round pick according to DraftExpress.com’s latest mock draft. While the ACC Defensive Player of the Year weighs his options, Brownell will return several important pieces, such as Rod Hall and Damarcus Harrison, from this season’s 23-13 (10-8 ACC) team.
Filer was a three-star recruit coming out of Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) in 2012, committed to Clemson over offers from Baylor and Oregon State. He will sit out the upcoming season and have two years of eligibility remaining.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)