Apr 13, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Sophomore guard Adonis Filer has decided to leave Clemson, the school announced on Sunday evening.
The 6-foot-2 Filer averaged 3.9 points, 1.3 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game for the Tigers, who reached the NIT semifinals this season. Those numbers were down from his freshman season averages of 6.3 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game in 2012-2013.
“I learned a lot in Coach [Brad] Brownell’s system,” Filer said in a statement released by the school. “He taught me how to be a better player. I will miss my teammates; we grew to be friends and are like brothers. I wish them nothing but success next season and beyond.”
The departure of Filer helps solve a scholarship dilemma for the program, leaving one available for leading scorer K.J. McDaniels, who is projected as a first round pick according to DraftExpress.com’s latest mock draft. While the ACC Defensive Player of the Year weighs his options, Brownell will return several important pieces, such as Rod Hall and Damarcus Harrison, from this season’s 23-13 (10-8 ACC) team.
Filer was a three-star recruit coming out of Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) in 2012, committed to Clemson over offers from Baylor and Oregon State. He will sit out the upcoming season and have two years of eligibility remaining.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)