Apr 13, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
New Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl added a front court commitment Sunday, with Chipola (Fla.) College forward Cinmeon Bowers announcing via Twitter that he’ll attend the SEC school in the fall. Bowers, who at one point in time was a Florida State signee, is a 6-foot-7 power forward and the decision comes at the completion of his official visit to Auburn.
As a sophomore Bowers averaged 12.4 points and 8.9 rebounds per game, shooting 47.2% from the field. Bowers grabbed ten or more rebounds in seven games this past season, with a high of 15 coming in a win over Georgia Perimeter College in early November (he also scored 29 points in that game).
Auburn, which was a young team in the front court this past season, ranked ninth in the SEC in defensive rebounding percentage (66.9%) and tenth in offensive rebounding percentage (31.8%). Bowers has the ability to help the Tigers in these areas.
As noted above Bowers was originally a Florida State signee, committing to the ACC school in the fall and signing a National Letter of Intent during the early signing period. But in March the school decided to release Bowers from the NLI.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)