Apr 13, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
New Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl added a front court commitment Sunday, with Chipola (Fla.) College forward Cinmeon Bowers announcing via Twitter that he’ll attend the SEC school in the fall. Bowers, who at one point in time was a Florida State signee, is a 6-foot-7 power forward and the decision comes at the completion of his official visit to Auburn.
As a sophomore Bowers averaged 12.4 points and 8.9 rebounds per game, shooting 47.2% from the field. Bowers grabbed ten or more rebounds in seven games this past season, with a high of 15 coming in a win over Georgia Perimeter College in early November (he also scored 29 points in that game).
Auburn, which was a young team in the front court this past season, ranked ninth in the SEC in defensive rebounding percentage (66.9%) and tenth in offensive rebounding percentage (31.8%). Bowers has the ability to help the Tigers in these areas.
As noted above Bowers was originally a Florida State signee, committing to the ACC school in the fall and signing a National Letter of Intent during the early signing period. But in March the school decided to release Bowers from the NLI.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)