Apr 13, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
New Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl added a front court commitment Sunday, with Chipola (Fla.) College forward Cinmeon Bowers announcing via Twitter that he’ll attend the SEC school in the fall. Bowers, who at one point in time was a Florida State signee, is a 6-foot-7 power forward and the decision comes at the completion of his official visit to Auburn.
As a sophomore Bowers averaged 12.4 points and 8.9 rebounds per game, shooting 47.2% from the field. Bowers grabbed ten or more rebounds in seven games this past season, with a high of 15 coming in a win over Georgia Perimeter College in early November (he also scored 29 points in that game).
Auburn, which was a young team in the front court this past season, ranked ninth in the SEC in defensive rebounding percentage (66.9%) and tenth in offensive rebounding percentage (31.8%). Bowers has the ability to help the Tigers in these areas.
As noted above Bowers was originally a Florida State signee, committing to the ACC school in the fall and signing a National Letter of Intent during the early signing period. But in March the school decided to release Bowers from the NLI.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)