Apr 13, 2014, 1:09 PM EST
New Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl added a front court commitment Sunday, with Chipola (Fla.) College forward Cinmeon Bowers announcing via Twitter that he’ll attend the SEC school in the fall. Bowers, who at one point in time was a Florida State signee, is a 6-foot-7 power forward and the decision comes at the completion of his official visit to Auburn.
As a sophomore Bowers averaged 12.4 points and 8.9 rebounds per game, shooting 47.2% from the field. Bowers grabbed ten or more rebounds in seven games this past season, with a high of 15 coming in a win over Georgia Perimeter College in early November (he also scored 29 points in that game).
Auburn, which was a young team in the front court this past season, ranked ninth in the SEC in defensive rebounding percentage (66.9%) and tenth in offensive rebounding percentage (31.8%). Bowers has the ability to help the Tigers in these areas.
As noted above Bowers was originally a Florida State signee, committing to the ACC school in the fall and signing a National Letter of Intent during the early signing period. But in March the school decided to release Bowers from the NLI.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)