Apr 13, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg , who was rewarded with a $600,000 raise on Friday, had a busy Sunday evening, landing UNLV transfer Bryce Dejean-Jones and earning a commitment from Iowa Western Community College forward Darien Williams.
Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune, who broke the commitment news, also reported that the 6-foot-8 Williams will undergo surgery on both shoulders, and will redshirt this season.
This past season for the Reivers, Williams averaged 16.1 points and 6.7 rebounds per game while shooting 51 percent.
“I am versatile and I can put the ball on the floor and I can shoot it and also I grew up playing inside so I block shots at times, so I just bring a lot of versatility, which is obviously what Iowa State is about,” Williams told Hines.
The native of Tustin, Calif., located just outside of Los Angeles, held offers from Nebraska, Kansas State and Fresno State according to Rivals. Williams made several trips to Ames in the past few years, as the two campuses are separated by 160 miles.
Williams is a product of St. John Bosco High, playing alongside UCLA guard Isaac Hamilton, and his younger brother, future UConn guard Daniel Hamilton.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)