Apr 13, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg , who was rewarded with a $600,000 raise on Friday, had a busy Sunday evening, landing UNLV transfer Bryce Dejean-Jones and earning a commitment from Iowa Western Community College forward Darien Williams.
Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune, who broke the commitment news, also reported that the 6-foot-8 Williams will undergo surgery on both shoulders, and will redshirt this season.
This past season for the Reivers, Williams averaged 16.1 points and 6.7 rebounds per game while shooting 51 percent.
“I am versatile and I can put the ball on the floor and I can shoot it and also I grew up playing inside so I block shots at times, so I just bring a lot of versatility, which is obviously what Iowa State is about,” Williams told Hines.
The native of Tustin, Calif., located just outside of Los Angeles, held offers from Nebraska, Kansas State and Fresno State according to Rivals. Williams made several trips to Ames in the past few years, as the two campuses are separated by 160 miles.
Williams is a product of St. John Bosco High, playing alongside UCLA guard Isaac Hamilton, and his younger brother, future UConn guard Daniel Hamilton.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)