Apr 13, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg , who was rewarded with a $600,000 raise on Friday, had a busy Sunday evening, landing UNLV transfer Bryce Dejean-Jones and earning a commitment from Iowa Western Community College forward Darien Williams.
Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune, who broke the commitment news, also reported that the 6-foot-8 Williams will undergo surgery on both shoulders, and will redshirt this season.
This past season for the Reivers, Williams averaged 16.1 points and 6.7 rebounds per game while shooting 51 percent.
“I am versatile and I can put the ball on the floor and I can shoot it and also I grew up playing inside so I block shots at times, so I just bring a lot of versatility, which is obviously what Iowa State is about,” Williams told Hines.
The native of Tustin, Calif., located just outside of Los Angeles, held offers from Nebraska, Kansas State and Fresno State according to Rivals. Williams made several trips to Ames in the past few years, as the two campuses are separated by 160 miles.
Williams is a product of St. John Bosco High, playing alongside UCLA guard Isaac Hamilton, and his younger brother, future UConn guard Daniel Hamilton.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)