Apr 13, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg , who was rewarded with a $600,000 raise on Friday, had a busy Sunday evening, landing UNLV transfer Bryce Dejean-Jones and earning a commitment from Iowa Western Community College forward Darien Williams.
Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune, who broke the commitment news, also reported that the 6-foot-8 Williams will undergo surgery on both shoulders, and will redshirt this season.
This past season for the Reivers, Williams averaged 16.1 points and 6.7 rebounds per game while shooting 51 percent.
“I am versatile and I can put the ball on the floor and I can shoot it and also I grew up playing inside so I block shots at times, so I just bring a lot of versatility, which is obviously what Iowa State is about,” Williams told Hines.
The native of Tustin, Calif., located just outside of Los Angeles, held offers from Nebraska, Kansas State and Fresno State according to Rivals. Williams made several trips to Ames in the past few years, as the two campuses are separated by 160 miles.
Williams is a product of St. John Bosco High, playing alongside UCLA guard Isaac Hamilton, and his younger brother, future UConn guard Daniel Hamilton.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 30
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (30)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)