Apr 13, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg , who was rewarded with a $600,000 raise on Friday, had a busy Sunday evening, landing UNLV transfer Bryce Dejean-Jones and earning a commitment from Iowa Western Community College forward Darien Williams.
Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune, who broke the commitment news, also reported that the 6-foot-8 Williams will undergo surgery on both shoulders, and will redshirt this season.
This past season for the Reivers, Williams averaged 16.1 points and 6.7 rebounds per game while shooting 51 percent.
“I am versatile and I can put the ball on the floor and I can shoot it and also I grew up playing inside so I block shots at times, so I just bring a lot of versatility, which is obviously what Iowa State is about,” Williams told Hines.
The native of Tustin, Calif., located just outside of Los Angeles, held offers from Nebraska, Kansas State and Fresno State according to Rivals. Williams made several trips to Ames in the past few years, as the two campuses are separated by 160 miles.
Williams is a product of St. John Bosco High, playing alongside UCLA guard Isaac Hamilton, and his younger brother, future UConn guard Daniel Hamilton.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)