Apr 13, 2014, 8:36 PM EDT
New Mexico will be without three starters from this past season.
Kendall Williams will graduate, while the frontline will need to be revamped as Cameron Bairstow has also exhausted his eligibility and center Alex Kirk decided to declare for the NBA draft.
First-year head coach Craig Neal took another step into filling the front court, receiving a commitment from Northern Oklahoma College-Tonkawa (Okla.) center J.J. Nganga on Sunday night. This was first reported by Geoff Grammer of the Albuquerque Journal. Nganga is the third member of New Mexico’s Class of 2014 along with Alvarado High (Texas) small forward Xavier Adams and Santa Margarita Catholic High (Calif.) power forward Joe Furstinger. Both are rated as three-star recruits according to Rivals.
This past season with the Mavericks, the 6-foot-10 Nganga, averaged 6.0 points and 5.6 rebounds in less than 20 minutes per game. Nganga suffered a tear in his Achilles tendon two years ago. Nganga told Grammer that he was still playing with the effects of that injury this past season, but believes he’ll be healthy for his debut with the Lobos.
Fresno State, Nevada and Liberty had all offered Nganga.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)