Apr 13, 2014, 8:36 PM EST
New Mexico will be without three starters from this past season.
Kendall Williams will graduate, while the frontline will need to be revamped as Cameron Bairstow has also exhausted his eligibility and center Alex Kirk decided to declare for the NBA draft.
First-year head coach Craig Neal took another step into filling the front court, receiving a commitment from Northern Oklahoma College-Tonkawa (Okla.) center J.J. Nganga on Sunday night. This was first reported by Geoff Grammer of the Albuquerque Journal. Nganga is the third member of New Mexico’s Class of 2014 along with Alvarado High (Texas) small forward Xavier Adams and Santa Margarita Catholic High (Calif.) power forward Joe Furstinger. Both are rated as three-star recruits according to Rivals.
This past season with the Mavericks, the 6-foot-10 Nganga, averaged 6.0 points and 5.6 rebounds in less than 20 minutes per game. Nganga suffered a tear in his Achilles tendon two years ago. Nganga told Grammer that he was still playing with the effects of that injury this past season, but believes he’ll be healthy for his debut with the Lobos.
Fresno State, Nevada and Liberty had all offered Nganga.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)