Apr 13, 2014, 11:38 PM EDT
A week ago, St. John’s was with only seven scholarship players after JaKarr Sampson declared for the NBA draft while and both Max Hooper and Chris Obekpa received their releases from the school.
On Sunday night, it was reported that Hooper would transfer to Oakland. However, a separate report from Roger Rubin of the New York Daily News suggested that Obekpa would likely end up back in a Red Storm uniform for the 2014-2015 season.
“Every day that Obekpa hasn’t transferred leads me to believe that he’s going to stay with St. John’s,” a source told Rubin. “I don’t know if the problem is sitting out a season, getting away from New York or (something) else.”
The 6-foot-9 sophomore instantly became a target for schools such as Baylor, Oregon and UCLA. Obekpa averaged 3.9 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game in his sophomore season.
An hour after the article was published, Obekpa sent this tweet to St. John’s teammate Phil Greene:
Let’s do this @philgreene31
— Obekpa chris (@obekpa12) April 14, 2014
Draw your own conclusions as to what that means, but the sense around the program is that Obekpa may very well be back with the Johnnies for a junior season.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)
- Wichita State lands transfer guard from Texas A&M (2)