Apr 13, 2014, 11:38 PM EST
A week ago, St. John’s was with only seven scholarship players after JaKarr Sampson declared for the NBA draft while and both Max Hooper and Chris Obekpa received their releases from the school.
On Sunday night, it was reported that Hooper would transfer to Oakland. However, a separate report from Roger Rubin of the New York Daily News suggested that Obekpa would likely end up back in a Red Storm uniform for the 2014-2015 season.
“Every day that Obekpa hasn’t transferred leads me to believe that he’s going to stay with St. John’s,” a source told Rubin. “I don’t know if the problem is sitting out a season, getting away from New York or (something) else.”
The 6-foot-9 sophomore instantly became a target for schools such as Baylor, Oregon and UCLA. Obekpa averaged 3.9 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game in his sophomore season.
An hour after the article was published, Obekpa sent this tweet to St. John’s teammate Phil Greene:
Let’s do this @philgreene31
— Obekpa chris (@obekpa12) April 14, 2014
Draw your own conclusions as to what that means, but the sense around the program is that Obekpa may very well be back with the Johnnies for a junior season.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)