Apr 13, 2014, 11:38 PM EST
A week ago, St. John’s was with only seven scholarship players after JaKarr Sampson declared for the NBA draft while and both Max Hooper and Chris Obekpa received their releases from the school.
On Sunday night, it was reported that Hooper would transfer to Oakland. However, a separate report from Roger Rubin of the New York Daily News suggested that Obekpa would likely end up back in a Red Storm uniform for the 2014-2015 season.
“Every day that Obekpa hasn’t transferred leads me to believe that he’s going to stay with St. John’s,” a source told Rubin. “I don’t know if the problem is sitting out a season, getting away from New York or (something) else.”
The 6-foot-9 sophomore instantly became a target for schools such as Baylor, Oregon and UCLA. Obekpa averaged 3.9 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game in his sophomore season.
An hour after the article was published, Obekpa sent this tweet to St. John’s teammate Phil Greene:
Let’s do this @philgreene31
— Obekpa chris (@obekpa12) April 14, 2014
Draw your own conclusions as to what that means, but the sense around the program is that Obekpa may very well be back with the Johnnies for a junior season.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)