Apr 13, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
In need of some additional front court depth for the future, Ohio State’s landed a verbal commitment from Virginia Tech transfer Trevor Thompson according to multiple outlets. Thompson, a 6-foot-11 forward/center, averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in his lone season in Blacksburg.
Thompson’s season-high in scoring was 15 points, with the freshman reaching that mark in games against Western Carolina and Duke. As for his rebounding numbers Thompson grabbed at least ten rebounds in four games, racking up 12 boards in games against Wake Forest (his lone double-double of the year) and Miami.
After sitting out the 2014-15 season Thompson will have three years of eligibility remaining. However, according to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com there’s a chance the big man could request an immediate eligibility waiver from the NCAA.
Thompson likely will sit out next season at Ohio State, but there is a chance he could request a waiver from the NCAA — due to his father’s medical condition — to see if he could play in 2014-15.
Ohio State’s added one front court player who can help them this season in Anthony Lee, a graduate transfer from Temple. He and rising seniors Trey McDonald and Amir Williams, both of whom have put forth quiet careers to this point, will be asked to step forward on a team that will adds four freshmen to go along with veteran guards Shannon Scott and Sam Thompson.
Of the four freshmen just one is a player who will compete for minutes in the paint, 6-foot-10 center David Bell.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)