Apr 13, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
In need of some additional front court depth for the future, Ohio State’s landed a verbal commitment from Virginia Tech transfer Trevor Thompson according to multiple outlets. Thompson, a 6-foot-11 forward/center, averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in his lone season in Blacksburg.
Thompson’s season-high in scoring was 15 points, with the freshman reaching that mark in games against Western Carolina and Duke. As for his rebounding numbers Thompson grabbed at least ten rebounds in four games, racking up 12 boards in games against Wake Forest (his lone double-double of the year) and Miami.
After sitting out the 2014-15 season Thompson will have three years of eligibility remaining. However, according to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com there’s a chance the big man could request an immediate eligibility waiver from the NCAA.
Thompson likely will sit out next season at Ohio State, but there is a chance he could request a waiver from the NCAA — due to his father’s medical condition — to see if he could play in 2014-15.
Ohio State’s added one front court player who can help them this season in Anthony Lee, a graduate transfer from Temple. He and rising seniors Trey McDonald and Amir Williams, both of whom have put forth quiet careers to this point, will be asked to step forward on a team that will adds four freshmen to go along with veteran guards Shannon Scott and Sam Thompson.
Of the four freshmen just one is a player who will compete for minutes in the paint, 6-foot-10 center David Bell.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)