Apr 13, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
In need of some additional front court depth for the future, Ohio State’s landed a verbal commitment from Virginia Tech transfer Trevor Thompson according to multiple outlets. Thompson, a 6-foot-11 forward/center, averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in his lone season in Blacksburg.
Thompson’s season-high in scoring was 15 points, with the freshman reaching that mark in games against Western Carolina and Duke. As for his rebounding numbers Thompson grabbed at least ten rebounds in four games, racking up 12 boards in games against Wake Forest (his lone double-double of the year) and Miami.
After sitting out the 2014-15 season Thompson will have three years of eligibility remaining. However, according to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com there’s a chance the big man could request an immediate eligibility waiver from the NCAA.
Thompson likely will sit out next season at Ohio State, but there is a chance he could request a waiver from the NCAA — due to his father’s medical condition — to see if he could play in 2014-15.
Ohio State’s added one front court player who can help them this season in Anthony Lee, a graduate transfer from Temple. He and rising seniors Trey McDonald and Amir Williams, both of whom have put forth quiet careers to this point, will be asked to step forward on a team that will adds four freshmen to go along with veteran guards Shannon Scott and Sam Thompson.
Of the four freshmen just one is a player who will compete for minutes in the paint, 6-foot-10 center David Bell.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)