Apr 13, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
In need of some additional front court depth for the future, Ohio State’s landed a verbal commitment from Virginia Tech transfer Trevor Thompson according to multiple outlets. Thompson, a 6-foot-11 forward/center, averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in his lone season in Blacksburg.
Thompson’s season-high in scoring was 15 points, with the freshman reaching that mark in games against Western Carolina and Duke. As for his rebounding numbers Thompson grabbed at least ten rebounds in four games, racking up 12 boards in games against Wake Forest (his lone double-double of the year) and Miami.
After sitting out the 2014-15 season Thompson will have three years of eligibility remaining. However, according to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com there’s a chance the big man could request an immediate eligibility waiver from the NCAA.
Thompson likely will sit out next season at Ohio State, but there is a chance he could request a waiver from the NCAA — due to his father’s medical condition — to see if he could play in 2014-15.
Ohio State’s added one front court player who can help them this season in Anthony Lee, a graduate transfer from Temple. He and rising seniors Trey McDonald and Amir Williams, both of whom have put forth quiet careers to this point, will be asked to step forward on a team that will adds four freshmen to go along with veteran guards Shannon Scott and Sam Thompson.
Of the four freshmen just one is a player who will compete for minutes in the paint, 6-foot-10 center David Bell.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 0
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)