Apr 13, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
In need of some additional front court depth for the future, Ohio State’s landed a verbal commitment from Virginia Tech transfer Trevor Thompson according to multiple outlets. Thompson, a 6-foot-11 forward/center, averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in his lone season in Blacksburg.
Thompson’s season-high in scoring was 15 points, with the freshman reaching that mark in games against Western Carolina and Duke. As for his rebounding numbers Thompson grabbed at least ten rebounds in four games, racking up 12 boards in games against Wake Forest (his lone double-double of the year) and Miami.
After sitting out the 2014-15 season Thompson will have three years of eligibility remaining. However, according to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com there’s a chance the big man could request an immediate eligibility waiver from the NCAA.
Thompson likely will sit out next season at Ohio State, but there is a chance he could request a waiver from the NCAA — due to his father’s medical condition — to see if he could play in 2014-15.
Ohio State’s added one front court player who can help them this season in Anthony Lee, a graduate transfer from Temple. He and rising seniors Trey McDonald and Amir Williams, both of whom have put forth quiet careers to this point, will be asked to step forward on a team that will adds four freshmen to go along with veteran guards Shannon Scott and Sam Thompson.
Of the four freshmen just one is a player who will compete for minutes in the paint, 6-foot-10 center David Bell.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)