Apr 13, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
With Eron Harris making the decision to transfer to a school closer to home just after the end of the season, West Virginia found itself in need of some more perimeter depth. The return of Juwan Staten and Terry Henderson will certainly help Bob Huggins as he looks to take West Virginia back to the NCAA tournament after falling just short in 2013-14, but those two will need help.
The hope is that 6-foot-3 point guard Tarik Phillip, who played at Independence CC in Kansas this past season, will provide that assistance. Phillip verbally committed to West Virginia on Sunday, with Mitch Vingle of the Charleston Gazette being the first to report the news.
Phillip chose WVU over schools such as Memphis and LSU, and according to the story Kansas attempted to get involved just before he made his visit to Morgantown. He will have three years of eligibility remaining.
In 18 games at Independence, Phillip averaged 18.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 4.7 assists per game, shooting 55.7% from the field and 38.6% from beyond the arc. He reached double figures in all 18 games, finishing the season with a 31-point outing in a loss to Northwest Kansas Technical College.
In addition to Phillip, West Virginia adds incoming freshmen Jevon Carter and Daxter Miles to its backcourt next season.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)