Apr 14, 2014, 7:48 PM EST
New South Florida men’s basketball head coach Orlando Antigua began adding pieces to his coaching staff on Monday as the former Kentucky assistant brought some familiar faces on board with him to the American Athletic Conference program.
Joining Antigua on his first staff at USF will be former NBA veteran guard and Kentucky special assistant Rod Strickland along with Antigua’s brother — and Seton Hall assistant coach — Oliver Antigua, the school announced in a release on Monday.
Strickland is a 17-year NBA veteran who spent five years as a special assistant at Kentucky under head coach John Calipari. The former point guard also spent time at Memphis under Calipari in a director of student-athlete development and director of basketball operations positions. Calipari tweeted some words of support for Strickland on Monday.
“I worked very closely with Rod for the past six years and he is ready for this next step up in his coaching career,” Antigua said in the release. “We had a chance to work together for a hall of fame coach at Kentucky in John Calipari. Rod has tremendous knowledge for the game and will be a great asset for the program.”
Oliver Antigua — the younger brother of Orlando — spent one season as an assistant coach at Seton Hall and was also previously an assistant coach at Manhattan. The two Antigua brothers have coached together before on the Dominican Republic National Team last summer.
“Oliver is a terrific recruiter and coaches with great energy and passion which will benefit us here at USF,” Antigua said in the release. “He helped assemble a recruiting class at Seton Hall that was ranked No. 10 in the nation and No. 1 in the Big East Conference.”
Antigua also added former Pitt teammate Jerry McCullough as director of basketball operations.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)