Apr 14, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
New South Florida men’s basketball head coach Orlando Antigua began adding pieces to his coaching staff on Monday as the former Kentucky assistant brought some familiar faces on board with him to the American Athletic Conference program.
Joining Antigua on his first staff at USF will be former NBA veteran guard and Kentucky special assistant Rod Strickland along with Antigua’s brother — and Seton Hall assistant coach — Oliver Antigua, the school announced in a release on Monday.
Strickland is a 17-year NBA veteran who spent five years as a special assistant at Kentucky under head coach John Calipari. The former point guard also spent time at Memphis under Calipari in a director of student-athlete development and director of basketball operations positions. Calipari tweeted some words of support for Strickland on Monday.
“I worked very closely with Rod for the past six years and he is ready for this next step up in his coaching career,” Antigua said in the release. “We had a chance to work together for a hall of fame coach at Kentucky in John Calipari. Rod has tremendous knowledge for the game and will be a great asset for the program.”
Oliver Antigua — the younger brother of Orlando — spent one season as an assistant coach at Seton Hall and was also previously an assistant coach at Manhattan. The two Antigua brothers have coached together before on the Dominican Republic National Team last summer.
“Oliver is a terrific recruiter and coaches with great energy and passion which will benefit us here at USF,” Antigua said in the release. “He helped assemble a recruiting class at Seton Hall that was ranked No. 10 in the nation and No. 1 in the Big East Conference.”
Antigua also added former Pitt teammate Jerry McCullough as director of basketball operations.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)