Apr 14, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Syracuse sophomore forward Jerami Grant is expected to announce that he will enter the NBA Draft today, according to a report from Pete Thamel of SI.com.
At 6-foot-8 and 210 pounds, Grant is one of the best athletes in college basketball. Grant averaged 12.1 points and 6.8 boards as a sophomore despite dealing with a back injury in late February that forced him to miss a game in March.
Grant is projected as a No. 21 pick in the 2014 draft.
Grant is the second player to enter the draft early from Syracuse, following Tyler Ennis out the door. Jim Boehiem will also lose C.J. Fair to graduation, meaning that the Orange will be without three of their top four scorers heading into next season.
The good news? The Orange will still have plenty of talent and athletes. Trevor Cooney returns, as does Michael Gbinije, Rakeem Christmas and DaJuan Coleman. Highly-touted recruits Ron Patterson, BJ Johnson and Tyler Roberson will get a chance to play extended minutes, and Chris McCullough will be joining the program as well.
The key, once again, is going to end up being a freshman point guard: four-star recruit Kaleb Johnson.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)