Apr 15, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Maria Elena Perez, an attorney that assisted the NCAA in their investigation of the Miami athletic department, is facing charges from the Florida Bar for ethics violations stemming from her involvement in that investigation.
Perez represented Nevin Shapiro, the convicted Ponzi-schemer and former Miami booster that was at the center of the probe. The NCAA does not have subpoena power, so they put Perez on their payroll in order to get her to ask questions during the witness testimony in unrelated bankruptcy cases against Shapiro.
That information was eventually removed from the NCAA’s case against Miami, a case that reached as far as Missouri head coach Frank Haith. He was suspended for the first five games of the season.
Monday’s complaint detailed a number of alleged violations by Perez, including procedural errors she made, questions about her billing, that she failed to inform deposed witnesses about her relationship with the NCAA and that she even contacted producers at HBO about taping depositions of former Miami equipment-room staffer Sean Allen and sports agent Michael Huyghue.
Perez was paid $19,000 by the NCAA.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)