Apr 15, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Maria Elena Perez, an attorney that assisted the NCAA in their investigation of the Miami athletic department, is facing charges from the Florida Bar for ethics violations stemming from her involvement in that investigation.
Perez represented Nevin Shapiro, the convicted Ponzi-schemer and former Miami booster that was at the center of the probe. The NCAA does not have subpoena power, so they put Perez on their payroll in order to get her to ask questions during the witness testimony in unrelated bankruptcy cases against Shapiro.
That information was eventually removed from the NCAA’s case against Miami, a case that reached as far as Missouri head coach Frank Haith. He was suspended for the first five games of the season.
Monday’s complaint detailed a number of alleged violations by Perez, including procedural errors she made, questions about her billing, that she failed to inform deposed witnesses about her relationship with the NCAA and that she even contacted producers at HBO about taping depositions of former Miami equipment-room staffer Sean Allen and sports agent Michael Huyghue.
Perez was paid $19,000 by the NCAA.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)