Apr 15, 2014, 1:09 PM EST
Maria Elena Perez, an attorney that assisted the NCAA in their investigation of the Miami athletic department, is facing charges from the Florida Bar for ethics violations stemming from her involvement in that investigation.
Perez represented Nevin Shapiro, the convicted Ponzi-schemer and former Miami booster that was at the center of the probe. The NCAA does not have subpoena power, so they put Perez on their payroll in order to get her to ask questions during the witness testimony in unrelated bankruptcy cases against Shapiro.
That information was eventually removed from the NCAA’s case against Miami, a case that reached as far as Missouri head coach Frank Haith. He was suspended for the first five games of the season.
Monday’s complaint detailed a number of alleged violations by Perez, including procedural errors she made, questions about her billing, that she failed to inform deposed witnesses about her relationship with the NCAA and that she even contacted producers at HBO about taping depositions of former Miami equipment-room staffer Sean Allen and sports agent Michael Huyghue.
Perez was paid $19,000 by the NCAA.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)