Apr 15, 2014, 1:09 PM EST
Maria Elena Perez, an attorney that assisted the NCAA in their investigation of the Miami athletic department, is facing charges from the Florida Bar for ethics violations stemming from her involvement in that investigation.
Perez represented Nevin Shapiro, the convicted Ponzi-schemer and former Miami booster that was at the center of the probe. The NCAA does not have subpoena power, so they put Perez on their payroll in order to get her to ask questions during the witness testimony in unrelated bankruptcy cases against Shapiro.
That information was eventually removed from the NCAA’s case against Miami, a case that reached as far as Missouri head coach Frank Haith. He was suspended for the first five games of the season.
Monday’s complaint detailed a number of alleged violations by Perez, including procedural errors she made, questions about her billing, that she failed to inform deposed witnesses about her relationship with the NCAA and that she even contacted producers at HBO about taping depositions of former Miami equipment-room staffer Sean Allen and sports agent Michael Huyghue.
Perez was paid $19,000 by the NCAA.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 5
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 12
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)